aftermarket air filter for the turbo trucks????

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running an open filter with out the housing, like some of the old muscle cars did?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well still, it kind of migrated into air filters in general, with the for K&N or not. So i figured id through it out there. Im just thinking for us N/A guys.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im surprised no one has mentioned it but the sound with the K&N or any after market filter is pretty justifying of the cost. Granted the sound is only on the inside of the truck, it still sounds pretty:thumbsup:

You really are trying to live up to your name aren't ya'? :confused:

Here I type up all this logic for using K&N filters, and all you add is that they sound pretty? You really are a funnyman ;) JUST KIDDING YA' MAN! LOL

Seriously though, they do change the sound a bit. On my Jeep I installed a full K&N FIPK with the cone filter and it gave it a throatier sound - especially at WOT. But also added a bit of a turbo whistle sound - which I don't mind, but some have found annoying.

On both of my IDIs, I can't say. They both had K&N filters in 'em when I got 'em (pleasant surprise) and I have never heard either of them with any other kind of filter so I have nothing to compare to.

There is one thing I don't like about the Banks setup (in addition to the fact that the filter seems to be a propietary piece made for them by K&N that is ONLY available through Banks). With the big, honkin', thick, cast aluminum airbox, my IDI has NO audible turbo whistle at all - even when boosting at max (about 10 PSI) - and I wish id DID!

I have a turbo, and like you, I love listening to the "mechanical music" coming from under the hood, so I'd like to be able to hear it spool.

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The green filter is an awesome filter. Don't know what it costs though. I know quite a few guys with them on PSD trucks