After Injector Install, Engine Started, Ran, Then Died

Chip

Reaction score
Hello All,

I finished installing new marine injectors. It took a few cranks of the starter to get the motor to catch - I thought no big deal 'cause all the fuel lines were empty from being disconnected. The motor ran for approximately 3-4 minutes (sounded really good) then died. Repeated cranking the motor several times, but does not catch at all. have a full tank of fuel, when turn the key, glow plug light operates normally. I did notice that the "Check Engine Soon" light stayed on. I opened the bleed valve on the fuel filter and gave it a quick crank - there is definitely fuel getting to the filter. No fluids coming out the bottom of the motor. I can hear what I always thought was the fuel pump humming while waiting for the glow plug light to go out. I do not have a scan tool. Any ideas? Need more info?

Thank you!!

Chip

Chip

Reaction score
Update:

After letting the truck sit for almost an hour and a half, I tried to start it again. After a few cranks it sputtered to life!! I sat in the truck and moved the throttle from idle up to 2000 rpm then down to about 1500 and held it there for a little bit, then just kept moving it up and down a little bit. Then I just let it idle. All warning lights were out, temp was just starting to keep up, and at about 4 minutes or so it just died again! Tried to restart it with no success.

Oh yea – the PMD is almost new, maybe 2 or 3 months old, bought a kit with a relocation, and #9 resistor.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Chip

Chip

Reaction score
Second Update:

As I wrote before, fuel flows out of filter cap when loosened. Also flows out of water separator when opened and motor cranked. But – I disconnected a fuel line to a cylinder, and when cranked motor – no fuel!

What should I check now?

Thank you for the help, I really need it!

Chip

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really sounds like a PMD failure.

Whose kit did you purchase? Where was it mounted?

Chip

Reaction score
I purchased from SSDiesel, the PMD has a large heat sink and mounts by the back to flange holes of the heat sink through the two bolt holes furthest towards the drivers side, on the top of the intake manifold. The PMD sort of hangs in the air to the side of the intake.

Third Update:

I opened the fuel tank cap and there was a whoosh of either vacuum or pressure, don’t know which. I tried starting again, but no luck after three tries. Letting it sit for a few minutes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chip

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point, it sounds like your PMD is toast.

However, when you turn the ign on do you hear the ESO (silver cylinder on the IP) click?

If so, try and get Walt to warranty the PMD (good luck).

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Just a question here, after you installed the new injectors, did you bleed the injector lines? Also, did you hook up the supply and return lines to the tank correctly? Sounds like you're sucking air. Either that or the supply pump at the tank end isn't keeping up with the new fuel demands.

Chip

Reaction score
I wrote to Walt at SSdieselsupply and explained everything I had done, and how the motor was behaving. He asked me to send him my PMD (which I had recently purchased from him), and he would take a look at it. I’m waiting to hear back from him, or find a package at the front door. I’ll let you know what happens.

Chip

Ladman

Ladman
Reaction score
I just had a simular problem with my 1999 F350 diesel. Turns out it was the IDM, (Injector Driver Module). All the fuses and relays were good and the engine was geting fuel to the filter like yours. You said it still wont run right?. Since you sent the PMD back to get checked on, you would have to wait till the truck was back together again to try any further testing. You need a special Diesel tester to check the computer for any error messages. The IDM is located under the drivers side fender. After you remove the plastic liner, its right there. I must warn you, its not fun. A brand new one runs $900 from Ford directley, but you can get a used one for about $500. When i replaced mine, i got a check engine light and a #7 injector faliure message. After removeing the valve cover on the Passanger side (were the #7 injector is located), one of the wires to the injector near the UVCH (Under Vlave Cover Harnes) was loose, so that was fixed and now all is well. So make sure you check the connections on the UVHC near your injectors, they might be loose.

Last edited:

Chip

Reaction score
Hey Ladman,

Sorry I didn't have my signature filled out. I have a GMC not a Ford. It sounds like my PMD (Pump Mounted Driver) is the same as your IDM (Injector Driver Module). My PMD controls the Injection Pump which sends the fuel down to the injectors.

As far as tester goes, I thought any OBD II scanner/reader would work on a diesel (as well as a gas motor) from 1996 to present, I didn't think there was a "special" tester for diesels.

Also, since my truck is a GMC, I do not have a UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness). I have checked all my wiring and connections, etc. Since the motor has run 4 or 5 times and then shut of after a few minutes, I really think it is my PMD, (your IDM) but we'll see soon enough.

Thanks for replying,

Chip

Ladman

Ladman
Reaction score
I see. well good luck with that. I dont really know alot about GMC.

I tried to run a scanner on my truck at the time to see what the problem was, and all i got was test not supported on just about everything it was checking. So i was told that i needed a diesel scanner to test it. Either way it all worked out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin