Advance Auto Radiator Cracked Again

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh my god. I can't believe this one only lasted 7 weeks! I'm 250 miles from home where I can pull it and replace it my self. They won't pay for a shop to do the replacement since I installed it the first time. What a frustrating deal. I've gotta get a place out here with a garage so I can work on it myself. My next decision will be whether to repair it, replace it, or return it and get something better. I wish I could get a Rodney Red but I'm trying to buy a house out here and don't have that much spare money. I mean I've got a little but I can't just drop $750-$800 for a radiator right now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Seeing that you have a standard tran why not get a Champion aluminum and beat both drums. Save some cash and get a good aluminum radiator. They don't pack worth a crap but talk to them about the known shiping damage they have been getting dinged for. They are located in Murriata Ca and the sell on ebay too. I think the price was around $200.00 and free shipping. Rodney Red is the ultimate way to go but money talks doesn't it...:sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with your track record on advance auto parts, I'm surprised they haven't banned you from the chain. that being said, you know you were asking for trouble by cheaping out. for you, it's not a case of russian roulette, you're going to find the live round every time.:eek:
btw....
i'm going to make you open your wallet. I have a line on a orig unresotored '68 Camaro that's looking for a new home. pics shortly.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw....
i'm going to make you open your wallet. I have a line on a orig unresotored '68 Camaro that's looking for a new home. pics shortly.
Ooooooh you're mean LOL

Sean, I didn't know you had moved...whereabouts are you at now?

I have a good Modine radiator in my truck and have been thinking about upgrading to a Rodney Red (figure the extra radiator cooling ability would be a good thing after putting the IC in)...but that would probably be too late for you :(

wmoguy

Reaction score
Geezuz Sean

Who's wheaties are you ******* in? You have more issues with vendors/manufacturers/mechanics/etc.. than anyone I've ever met.

I hope you don't play the lottery bud.... :dunno

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my god. I can't believe this one only lasted 7 weeks! I'm 250 miles from home where I can pull it and replace it my self. They won't pay for a shop to do the replacement since I installed it the first time. What a frustrating deal. I've gotta get a place out here with a garage so I can work on it myself. My next decision will be whether to repair it, replace it, or return it and get something better. I wish I could get a Rodney Red but I'm trying to buy a house out here and don't have that much spare money. I mean I've got a little but I can't just drop $750-$800 for a radiator right now.

Same failure in the same way and place? I would look hard at it being caused by something else.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Nope, youre not the only one with that issue.

The stock 86 radiator i took out of my parts truck has a better track record than the "new" one i put in to avoid problems down the road.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
This is the radiator in question, Advance doesn't list it on their website but this is the one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PLI-432148/

It wasn't cheaping out by any means. lol That thing cost me over $400. I bought the first one back when I built the turbo engine for this truck. That one only lasted a few thousand miles, now this one only lasted 7 weeks. When I bought it I priced all over trying to get the best option. This one was supposedly "made in USA" sure the box says "made in USA" but the radiator has a sticker on it saying "Made in China".

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I can believe it, hell, they had radiators in brand new Super Duties that weren't making it to 10k on the 6.4

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm liking the Aluminium radiator from Autozone in my 86. It is heavy stamped aluminium. It's all metal, not plastic tanks. $320 or so after tax. I had a tough time with the Modine radiators, 1 cracked under warranty at the top weld, my last one cracked last summer at the same place, but it made it 7 years or so, therefore, not too many complaints.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the radiator in question, Advance doesn't list it on their website but this is the one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PLI-432148/

It wasn't cheaping out by any means. lol That thing cost me over $400. I bought the first one back when I built the turbo engine for this truck. That one only lasted a few thousand miles, now this one only lasted 7 weeks. When I bought it I priced all over trying to get the best option. This one was supposedly "made in USA" sure the box says "made in USA" but the radiator has a sticker on it saying "Made in China".

i bought at advance online using promo code P20.
by the time i scrapped my old rad,my final cost was only around a couple hundred bucks.

it's lifetime warrantied.so just take it back and get another.
make sure all your rubber mounts are in good shape?
where exactly do they seem to be failing?

looks like iv had the copper/brass ready rad (#432194 for my truck) since June last summer.
no problems yet.

Last edited: