adding additional diesel fuel via additional injector?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of proof do you want? Do a search on propane fumigation (as it is often referered to) and you will find numerous university studies, studies by the department of defense, and independent research activities all of which concluded that... yes, it works. The proof that does it for me, is that it reduces black smoke, which means that the fuel is burned more completely. Now if you want to argue over the chemistry aspects of it, have at it. I'm not hear to debate how it does it, but rather to restate that somehow it does do it, and putting a gas in your intake is a lot safer than a liquid. Those who run propane will tell you that it will not detenate before the diesel fuel, but that if done right it will burn WITH it. So your timing is maintained. If you add too much propane, then yes you can start to get into a situation where your timing can become too advanced, but the actual cause there of I am not sure of.

Back in the day adding gasoline or alcohol to diesel fuel gave the appearance of running better/cleaner because of less black smoke as well. That was found to be false. So I understand your logic, I follow it as well, but have yet to find the explanation as to HOW it works. So my logic is that it's an additional fuel, why not add additional fuel that it allready has in the fuel tank?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know if you dont set up your water **** right (inject to much) u will put out the fire (atleast start to) and you know this when it begins to knock, and i would think diesel in the intake would make lots of white smoke(raw diesel) but i wouldnt try diesel i did propane and it worked good

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for injecting an atomized fuel, I applaud your out of the box thinking, and of course somebody might want to try it to prove our theories, but I think your prone to have any or all of these;

A) - a runaway (controlable by your injection system of course)
B) - predetonation
C) - glow plug damage
D) - High EGT's

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do this with propane because the heat of compression alone will not ignite it. You have to give the compressed cylinder a shot of diesel first, it burns, and then in turn ignites the propane.

Put some diesel in the air stream and it will ignite when the cylinder is half way up the compression stroke. Not good!

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do this with propane because the heat of compression alone will not ignite it. You have to give the compressed cylinder a shot of diesel first, it burns, and then in turn ignites the propane.

Put some diesel in the air stream and it will ignite when the cylinder is half way up the compression stroke. Not good!

and that would go against the idea of how the engine would work;Sweet making an explosion to soon is never good:angel:

maddenji

Reaction score
Why? So you can run a lean tune for day to day driving and when you want to get on it you can add the additional fuel with the flip of an activation switch.

You can already run lean or rich without any mods. That is what the accelerator pedal does. Press it lightly and you have a lean running engine. Mash it down and more fuel is delivered to the injectors. If you don't have enough fuel at "WOT" turn up the pump. Even with the pump turned up you can still run a lean burn. Just keepa light right foot.
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online