Adding a coolant filter, looking for compatible coolant types.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I am collecting the parts to install an SCA pre-charged coolant filter. I am currently running Fleet guard coolant, but my work started carrying Fleet Rite which after contacting the company was told it is compatible with Fleet Guard. The bad thing is that we carry WIX filters which are not compatible with Fleet guard/Fleet Rite. I have read that Napacool and wixcool are basically the same thing. I can get Fleet Guard filters to run and will if I have to, but it's a 40 minute drive to the cummins shop. I was curious if anyone was aware of another brand that may be compatible with my current coolant. Sometimes I can order other brands of products from work so I figured it was worth a shot.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I would run a blank 4070 filter. If the coolant is already pre charged no need to add more SCA.

If you look at some of the wix filters they list DCA4 as the sca witch is what fleet guard is. Some of the fleet guard filters are also listed with DCA2. Its such a grey area though as to witch type of SCA a filter has in it. That's why I have always run the 4070. That and the fear of overcharging the coolant of SCA.

My next step is to switch to Final Charge ELC and never worry about SCAs again. That's something you may want to consider if you can get your hands on it.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The coolant was pre-charged when I put it in several years ago, I imagine the SCA's have been used up by now. I have a hard time remembering to check them and am afraid of getting the balance wrong. I figured the pre-charged filter setup would do a better job of maintaining the levels than I could. The reading I have done says an 8 unit filter is perfect for the size of the cooling system on these trucks. We do carry a coolant from Fleet Rite that says Final Charge, I will take a look at it.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?67725-coolant-filter&highlight=

Take a look in there there is a need-release filter part number recommended that will keep sca's at proper level with no need to worry about having a filter with the correct amount of "units" charge. I would run the 4070 blank napa filter for a little while though just to try to catch any trash that has built up in the system so you dont clog up the need release as they are pricey

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, those filters look pretty cool. I guess it would be a good idea to run a blank filter first to clean the initial crud out of the system.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Well I am some kind of idiot, the coolant I am switching to is Fleet Charge, not Fleet Rite. I finally got to work to have a look instead of relying on my faulty memory. Unfortunately we no longer carry the Final Charge which should have been the ELC version. Oh well, I have ordered my filter head and we stock the blank 4070 filter so I will be good for a bit. I will ask around the local big rig dealers to see if anyone carries those Penray filters and how much they want for them. Worst case scenario is I drive to the cummins shop to get some Fleet Guard precharged filters.