Add A Leaf Conundrum

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I purchased a Skyjacker add a leaf kit for my 1993 F250 4wd 7.3 IDI. I got home and opened the box and looked at the instructions only to find that the instructions don't seem to have anything to do with my particular application. For starters, the leaf springs in the picture in the instructions were symmetrical, but the springs in my kit are not:eek: . The picture also shows the springs being arched in the traditional upward (like a "u") direction. I believe my factory TTB leafs are reverse arc'd. So if I used these springs, would I put the longer end forward or backward:confused: ? Am I just suffering from cheaping out and not buying a brand new set of leafs:dunno ? I can get brand new leafs for about $180 per side, and after this debacle, I think that would be monies well spent except that I want to make sure my front end is level as I want to get rid of the current "rake". Any info or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that if you measure the existing springs you will find that they are not symetrical either and you will get your answer.

I don't think there's any "standard" they just design the front and rear mounts then bolt the axle where it needs to go.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Mr. Roboto. Good te hear from somebody back in my old neck of the woods: I am a former East sider. You would druel if you saw all the clean, non-salted older trucks out here in the Northwest.

Thanks again, and Go Tribe!

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if what your after is factory ride & height put a set off ride-rite air bags on the front, mine restored the travel that had shrunk to 1/2" of compression now 1.75" plus it's adjustable based on my load.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rough Country one I just put on my truck were the same. The longer end went towards the front. I had to drill out and remove the factory bracket as it would have been in the way of the add a leaf. The height is perfect and the ride is a lot nicer now. I did have to get the alignment fixed as the camber was off when I was done.
Tristan

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's advice, I installed the kit and it seems to be working well so far (put 400 miles on it camping this weekend). Time to look for some new shocks, any input on shocks?

Thanks again

R. J.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
how do you use your truck - off road or is she pretty much a pavement princess like mine?

For towing and general pavement princess I have always used either Bilsten or Napa heavy duty and been happy. Now for off road I like rancho brand...

Just my opinion which means.... nothing in all reality...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, mostly asphault. I was thinking that a heavier shock might be better for dampening on road bumps/vibrations as well as off road (I was offroad for about 25 miles this weekend). Thanks for the input.

R. J.

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Rancho 9000s made a huge difference in the handling of my truck. As did the Michelin ATX's and Timbrens for the camper. It sees about 80/20 Hwy vs Offroad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online