acetone

ken1464

Reaction score
Has anybody used acetone as an additive to increase fuel mileage, And does it lessen the lubricating properties of diesel? I am thinking Acetone and 2 cycle oil may be a good combo.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mythbusters did it on a gasser, mileage went down! I would think it would definetely reduce lubrication.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used it, I did some fairly comprehensive testing in my 95 PSD about three years ago. I tried it at 1 oz per gallon, 1.5 oz per gallon and also up to 2 oz per gallon (along with my usual dose of DieselKleen or Howes) and all I came up with was inconclusive results when compared to running with straight fuel and an additive. Some tanks showed a slight increase in mileage and some showed a slight decrease in mileage. As mentioned, inconclusive.

Its just not worth the hassle IMHO to mess with this stuff (especially if you consider that a drop or two gone unnoticed on your paint will eat it off) when I can get better results with an additive and an ounce of 2 cycle per gallon.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

Have you seen any ill effects with 2 cycle and your 6.0l. I didnt know if it causes any issues in the EGR or plugging the cat. Or are you even using it in the new truck. Just wondered, the only thing that I have been using is DieselKleen......

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have a cat and the last time I pulled the EGR it was clean........

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried it in my 1999 Dodge Neon a few years ago. Mileage increased. I know...sounds crazy. I used 2-3oz per tank of fuel. I got a consistant 40mpg with that car driving at 55-60mph. I drove 180 miles PER DAY ( YES PER FREAKING DAY!!!) Yes, I drove it like and old lady. With no acetone, I got a consistant 34-35mpg. It was a 5 speed. Too much acetone = less mileage. There is a sweet spot when it comes to the amount to use.

This wasn't a one week test....I did this for several months. I tried it with my newer Neon which is an automatic....I saw no difference.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we add about 4 ounces in my dads 1993 cavalier every tank for a couple of months and it helped mileage quite a bit(170.000miles). I think that in older cars it would do a lot of good at first with cleaning all the carbon and fuel system. If you take a new car I dont think it would do much for it.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
Any long term damage with using acetone? I tried it for a few months, got 35mpg highway on a '97 Mercury Sable. I stopped using acetone for a few months then went back to it, no change. No explanation for it.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
My guess is that for a gas burner its more volitile and will help the burn without too much loss of lubricity. My worry with a diesel is the loss of lubricity. Its much more critical with the diesel than it is with the gasser.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online