Acetone in Gasoline

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I have been adding 1 ounce of acetone per 5 gallons of gasoline for 4-5 months now. My fuel economy has improved from 20 to 23mpg in town, but I have not had the chance to test it on the highway yet. Has anyone else experimented with this yet? From everything I've read online, there seems to be quite the disagreement over weather the small amount of acetone will damage any fuel system components. What is everyones' take on this?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I experimented with acetone in DIESEL on my 95. Results were totally inconclusive and I stopped fooling with it. My end summary was it didnt work.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
How long did you try it? Are you aware of any damage to your engine or fuel line parts?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
As it's a solvent, I would be worried that it would be leaning out the fuel causing more wear on internal parts....

A lean race motor will run like a stripped ape for a while..... then it goes boom!!

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used acetone in my 1999 Dodge Neon with positive results. I think I was mixing 2 oz per tank and seeing a 3-4 mpg increase. That neon was a 5 speed manual and I was seeing a consistant 39-40mpg when driven in a conservative manner. My 2005 Neon won't even come close....best I have seen is 32. POS.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it's a solvent, I would be worried that it would be leaning out the fuel causing more wear on internal parts....

A lean race motor will run like a stripped ape for a while..... then it goes boom!!

2 oz to 12+ gallons of fuel should do no such thing

blender

Reaction score

Methanol... That's what my buddies run, last motor he only got 32 passes on before ignition. Two pistons wedged sideways in the cylinders, pretty nasty.

Maybe he put a gallon of acetone in with his 10 gallons of Methanol to get better mileage in the quarter... :)

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score

all has to do with how much oxygen is liberated (as in the case of NO2, or consumed, as with petroleum fuels)...

that's why A, AA, and TF cars have to wear blower blankets.. mixture gets too lean, cylinder temps get too hot, melts a piston, backfires into blower, kaboom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online