ac hose rebuild?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple ac hoses where the hose material is either brittle or got a pretty good wore spot on it. I'm planning to buy a Mastercool a/c hose crimper some hose and ferrules and remake my hoses. My question is what ferrules do I need? I see ferrules that come with a lock clip, ferrules that lock onto the metal line, and then ferrules that just slip over and get crimped. Does it matter what ferrules I buy as long as they are the correct size for the hose? Also is this a decent crimper? I've also got a hot rod that will need some a/c lines crimped so i'm buying the tool no matter what.

Thanks
Jeremy

Crimper

Ferrule with Locking ring

Standard Ferrule

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The mastercool crimper is a great tool, whatever you do, don't use an impact on the thing unless you have a steady trigger finger and can ease into the stops without damaging it ( it can be done with practice but you don't want to bottom out the thing with an impact or you will ruin it) Most basic mastercool sets will come with all the size dies you will need for most vehicles, but there are a few oddballs out there that will require you to purchase one or two extra dies.
Use the standard ferrules. Just clean up the old hose ends carefully and you will be all set
You may not be able to get a crimper on the end where teh manifold bolts to the compressor so you can get a manifold adapter from www.coldhose.com that has straight out ports , then just terminate your hhoses with new fittings that will thread up to it ( that place has great prices on ferrules and hose and all kinds of other goodies as well )

sassyrel

Reaction score
you want the one,,that you put the locking snap ring on..why?? because when the pressure with the non barb factory fittings goes high,,the hose blows off..been there. the only bad part,,the hose has to be taken off,,to use that crimper in a vice..the old one i have,,i can do it right on the vehicle,,

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thank for the info. I was leaning towards standard ferrules as they are cheaper. I was worried about the ends coming off. An article mentioned that the crimp should hold the hose on. I dont know what is correct but am hoing to try standard ferrules first. Are the beadlock connectors the same idea as the ferrule? I believe the same crimper does both. Coldhose appears to be an excellent place for these parts. Thanks

RoyBoy

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
You will be fine with standard ferrules on low side hoses, but on your high side they generally will tend to blow off. They need to be locked to the fitting either as a new beadlock or with the lock rings.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have never once lost a hose using the standard ferrules with that type crimper. I used to work in an AC specialty shop and thats all we used and never had a problem, and I've always been in extreme hot climates where the head pressures can get WAY up there at times. Theres no secret technique, just make sure the things are dang clean and push the new hose on dry and the rubber will pretty much lock to the metal. I've never even used the kind with the lock rings, then again, I've had a stinkload of practice. If you are going to try those snap ring jobs, it looks like you had better have a nice dremmel tool on hand to clean out that groove.

RoyBoy

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I have never once lost a hose using the standard ferrules with that type crimper. I used to work in an AC specialty shop and thats all we used and never had a problem, and I've always been in extreme hot climates where the head pressures can get WAY up there at times. Theres no secret technique, just make sure the things are dang clean and push the new hose on dry and the rubber will pretty much lock to the metal. I've never even used the kind with the lock rings, then again, I've had a stinkload of practice. If you are going to try those snap ring jobs, it looks like you had better have a nice dremmel tool on hand to clean out that groove.
I also do A/C work everyday. The few times I have re-used high side fittings re-crimped I had more failures than I cared for. Obviously it's different when it's a customer situation compared you your own vehicle/ machine. I'm thinking that maybe the key is not using oil on the fitting (which I always use otherwise). I can see that a dry connection may be enough of the difference to make it hold. The groove in the fitting does clean out pretty easy, I just cut the ferrule to the small hole on the corner and then use a pliers to tear it the rest of the way. It will pop right out. I generally use new fitting assemblies whenever possible, but in a pinch it's nice to have options.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I I can see that a dry connection may be enough of the difference to make it hold.
I'm pretty sure thats the key. The fella I learned from was a real artist. in his shop, the CHEAPEST car we worked on was a mercedes and they went way up from there and failures were not an option ( rich folks have zero sense of humor ) Instructions always say to oil up the hose to slide it on and seal, but if you have a good crimp, you dont need oil to seal it, but a dry hose will fuse itself to the metal very quickly. HEck if someone was concerned they could always take a file and cut a couple of rings around the tube for the rubber to force in and grab into

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the crimper, ferrules and hose. We'll see how it goes. I bought the crimper from Amazon and everything else from ColdHose.