AC/Heater Fan

Bucky

Reaction score
My ac/heater fan has started running at irregular speeds lately. It will run fine for the first hour or so and then it will start acting funny. It may change speeds 3 or 4 times in one minute. Sometimes it runs so slow that I have to shut off the engine to hear it but it doesn’t stop completely unless the switch is off.

Does this sound like a fan motor problem or a switch problem?
Could it be something else?

Bucky

Bucky

Reaction score
I went to the bone yard and got a fan switch. No change so I guess I’ll try the blower motor.

Bucky

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Man I missed this post completely which in my defense I was moving during the time period it was posted - sorry about that...

Anyhoo.... I would say it sounds like a wiring problem. Reason I say wiring problem is it runs fine for a while then after things probably heat up it starts acting funny. Might want to check out the plugs first.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a problem with the blower resistor. Some of those will melt the connectors. In fact I found a truck the other day that the blower wasn't working properly and the dealer had put and updated harness from the ignition switch to the blower motor.

Bucky

Reaction score
Where can I find the resistor? Is it on the switch?
BTW the fan isn't working at all now.

Bucky

Last edited:

Bucky

Reaction score
I cleaned the terminals on the plug down by the fan and put some OxGuard on it. It seems to run better now but I won’t know for sure till I drive the truck for a few hours.

Bucky

2500cummins

Reaction score
The blower resistor is on the bottom of the AC housing just left of the blower motor, it has a connector with four wires going to it. The resistor is in the ground side of the blower circuit, it should be easy to bypass in an emergency.

Jared

Bucky

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Jared, I found the resister and it seemed to be working fine but a corner of it fell off in my hand so I went to NAPA to get a blower motor and resister. The motor was $67 and the resister was 80 something so I got just the motor. I haven’t had a problem since.

Why doesn’t my signature show up? I filled it out and I checked the “Show Signatures” box under “Edit Options”. Do I have to make a donation to somebody’s Christmas party fund to get it to show up??? LOL

Bucky

Last edited: