AC Compressor replacement-correct oil and correct amount

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I will be replacing the dealer installed AC setup in my truck with OEM type components. I purchased a used engine side AC plenum as the dealer installed one was cheesy. The evaporator in the used plenum looks like new, and when I removed the orifice tube, it only had a couple of small particles on the screen. I flushed the evap. with denatured alcohol and it appears to be clean so I am going to reuse it. Everything else I have purchased new including red orifice tube (OEM 134a), hoses, condenser, accumulator, and compressor. I purchased a Motorcraft compressor from Amazon, and also purchased two bottles of the recommended PAG 46 oil. The compressor is made in China, but worse yet, so is the oil! Geez - can't we make any auto parts in this country anymore? Hopefully, with the compressor being Motorcraft, MAYBE it will be a bit better quality - who knows? What I did not realize is that the compressor comes loaded with 7 oz. of oil. My Haynes AC manual calls for 7 oz. of oil in the system, "ON MODELS WITH "AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION" decal on radiator support". The manual goes on to state "on models without the decal, add the specified amount plus 4 oz. Obviously, with my truck not being equipped with AC form the factory, it would not have the decal regardless. So, I would assume that I should put in 4 more oz of PAG 46 oil. Can anyone verify that? I know too much oil is not good, but this will be a completely "dry" system to start out with. I am also a bit concerned about the chinese PAG 46 I purchased. Is it any good? Is it compatible with the oil that is already in the compressor? I appreciate any advice anyone can give. @chris142? Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
If your making the truck run a factory style AC system, factory AC systems call for 7oz, so that's what I would run. I think a good rule of thumb is 3.5oz of oil per pound of refrigerant