AC compresser to on board air

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
has anyone done this or know how to do it. I have been looking at how to get a cheap OBA setup on my truck and this looked like it might work my 7.3 has the ac compressor but my truck don't have the setup for ac (the fun of doing engine swap) so no loss of anything for me that way. I just don't know how to do it but I know I will need a setup to keep the compressor oiled and a oil seperator before the air tank. some kind of auto shutoff for when it gets to the right psi so I am not in and out of the truck turning it on and off and I will need to put a toggle switch for the high idle. so there are my thaughts. :rotflmao WHAT COULD GO WRONG cookoo

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to use your existing compressor you will need an oiler and oil separator pair. Every so often you'll have to unscrew them both, and empty the separator into the oiler. A compressor cutoff switch is cheap on eBay. Modern AC compressors don't have a sump, though, which is why you need the oiler. The lubricant is pushed through the system by refrigerant! The old way was better but heavier. You can still find York compressors in junkyards, they were used up to the 1970s. There's a guide on some jeep site about finding the best compressor for onboard air; the same case was used for compressors with three different displacements, one of them is pathetic and another is pretty ho-hum.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I use an air tool oiler on the intake and an oil separator at the tank on my jeep. 120/90 switch and a ground side switched relay to run it (the clutch only pulls 3 amps though). Redneck setup but it works. The jeep takes ~3mins to fill a 7 gal tank at idle.

Thinking about doing it on my truck, or rebuilding my ac system.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pirate 4x4. Com has this in the tech pages.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can figure out how to mount a sanden,vtwin or york compressor those have an oil sump so no need for an oiler. they are a much better choice for an air pump than a fs6 or whatever compressor you have.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got lucky, my 84 F350 extended 6.9 stick dually already had a heavy-duty air compressor installed when I got her, it's a 'V type' pump too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40cfm @160psi :D
it's built to run 1" big rig tire guns.;Sweet

Attachments

• SL378976.JPG
    SL378976.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 18
  • SL378977.JPG
    SL378977.JPG