A lot of hot, or a little cold....er

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the banks sidewinder turbo kit with the ram air piping. It seems like the air intake is awfully narrow. I've been wondering if I should get rid of all the piping and just put the filter directly on to the intake port. Would this get me better air flow or would I be sacrificing precious cold, dense air just to have a bunch of hot air. Ultimately I'd simply like to lower my egts a little and make sure I'm getting all the air the ol' block wants.

This is what I'm thinking of doing
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I have

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my opinion...l

Cooler air is always better. Low EGTs are our main objective.

Also, the intake side of your turbo is only 3 inches or so. All the factory tubing is larger than that. My opinion, and what I have done on my truck, is leave it.

I also installed an intercooler. That was th best thing I did! About 400 bucks and I had mine installed. Check the tech articles and there is a detailed install article.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Ram Air, is a Pontiac Specific term.
this has to do with not only a scoop in the hood, but intake heads and exhaust also.
commonly confused with just a scoop in the hood.

Ram air does exactly that. RAMS air into where it needs to be,
this is my version.

ive used the the way you want to do it,
i saw no alarming change when switching.

Before

After

my set up now, does draw cold air, but not many people have cowl/custom hoods.

the bottom line, is that our trucks dont really care.
this is a personality trait.

do not use spectra air filters...
or this could be you.
this is the turbo snail that bolts to the intake with the Spectra air filter on the turbo.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intake Air Temperature Experiment

colder air = more dense air. more dense air = more air.

i don't like the banks setup either.it doesn't mount nor seal well.i just bought the same setup (shoot,what's his username? he owns the blue super cab truck named "psycho") that im gunna try.looks much better.he's got a thread showing it,but without recalling his username i'l never find it.

oh! Sycostang67.he posted there in the air experiment thread.far out.now to see if i can find his air intake setup.

ah.dang im good.:D

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...me-made-catch-can-and-intake&highlight=intake

oh yeah i wanted to do the catch can as well to help reduce the amount of oil going into my intercooler and oiling up my boots not designed for oil.
man,we're never done are we? :D

Last edited:

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to a Hypermax cowl induction install with som pictures. It seems like the best way to go
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?39325-Hypermax-Cowl-Induction-Installation

If anyone has had GOOD success with other products or ideas, please chime in. Pictures are always appreciated

[Addition] I just returned from a trip to town with no piping to get a real world assessment of whether there is a noticeable difference or not without using fancy electronic equipment telling me exacts down to single degrees. BIG difference! Black smoke was uncontrollable indicating a lack of air. Also my EGTs were consistently higher, about 50* higher at highway speeds and over 100* higher in town.

No doubt about it, any piping is better than no piping!

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you dump that factory plastic over the battery tube and hose 'I want to buy it!
Back to the main topic!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a hint for factory cold-air setup - '87 and older trucks have the 4" ducting going down to an opening right behind the grille, this is about as cold and high-pressure air as you'll get. If you feel ambitious you can make yourself a funnel extension for it to bring the inlet even with the very front of the face of the truck, inline with the grille (after cutting a section of the grille off, which is not hard if you're already running a custom grille), very much like how the import crowd does their turbo intake inlets.

Not sure if this will work for OBS trucks as their header supports are different in some ways, but for a brick ('87-'91) this is a direct bolt-in setup.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't much room to get to the grill from between the radiator and support. You'd have to do some cutting.

Looked at this for a N/A truck and decided not to do any surgery. A 4" flex duct from pepboys worked well.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't much room to get to the grill from between the radiator and support. You'd have to do some cutting.

Looked at this for a N/A truck and decided not to do any surgery. A 4" flex duct from pepboys worked well.

What truck were you working on, an OBS ('92-up)? And where did you run the 4" flex duct to?