A few project update photos

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Man Ron those are some UGLY welds!!! :rotflmao LOL :D
Aww just kidding actually I've always wanted to pickup one of those little welders, I haven't a clue how to weld but I've always wanted to learn! Did you just teach yourself by unpacking it and going at it?

Thanks. :backoff
Yep, I just unpancked it and went at it testing on Goldies old core support first tho. :eek:

It's pretty easy once ya figure out the wire speed for the thickness yer working across while moving across the seam laying down enough material but not getting it too hot to burn thru.
Hey if I can do it I know YOU can. LOL

Travis prolly welds with purple nitrile gloves on I bet. ;Really

Yes Mel it is and is prolly why it keeps over heating on me. :idiot: :smash:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've stick welded for years, but have never tried a wire feed. I'm intrigued by the idea that the angle doesn't matter. Must make stick welding seem awfully hard.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I've stick welded for years, but have never tried a wire feed. I'm intrigued by the idea that the angle doesn't matter. Must make stick welding seem awfully hard.
mel-
if you are good stick welding, you'll look like a pro once you get comfortable with MIG or TIG.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
towcat said:
mel-
if you are good stick welding, you'll look like a pro once you get comfortable with MIG or TIG.

Second that! I looked good when I started using a MIG.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea well it's all they seem to use on these "reality" garage shows, so I figure it must be the hot ticket these days. I've been looking for a good WF welder, but I want to make sure I can weld alluminum, which seems to require a wire feeder that doesn't make coat hangers out of your feed wire, and the premium that one pays for a welder of this class seems to be outragious. Seems like you go right from the cheapy farm and home Hobart types to the 4 digit Millers, with no $400 to $600 welders in between.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Mel,

If not mistaken, you can get a Lincoln SP-175 and get the optional AL wire feed kit and it will do MOST jobs. Probably in the $800.00 range with Argon tank.

I have the 175 but dont have the AL kit. I like it!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-
if you are going to do aluminum and have it look decent, you need a TIG setup. MIG aluminum is a major PITA and the results aren't pretty. I've used the spoolgun aluminum MIG and its a very cumbersome setup at best. Problem with TIG is that you are driving a motorcycle. arc in one hand, rod in another and your foot on the pedal. with practice results are great.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a Century GS155 that is a 155 AMP 110 Volt welder that will weld aluminum with the appropriate gas and feed roller. The roller is not included, but is less that $20 if memory serves. The gas is actually different blends for different metals, I have done steel, stainless and aluminum. Aluminum welding is strange, but not to bad depending upon what you are welding, sheet stock or casting etc. Aluminum is best welded hot, we did our cylinder heads with a TIG and preheated/reheated to 400 degrees before, during and after welding. Anyway, my welder was right at the $400 mark and is about the biggest (155 AMP) welder I found for 110 volt. Mine is about 10 years old and has put down many roles of wire with nary a complaint. I have used Miller and like them as well as Hobart (dad has a Hobart) and all work well, none really better than the other though and the transformers are all made by one or two companies so I was told, mostly in Spain.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well I know miller and hobart are made by the same company I just bought a Miller 210 220 volt with dual controls and spoolgun I really like it so much less smoke then stick welding I really looked at tig welders but I just couldn't justify one yet the mig welder better fits my needs

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Oh yeah I used a lincoln 100 amp with gasless flux core wire and I only needed it turned about half way up to weld sheet metal it only kicks out over temp if I'm welding 3/16 or thicker for very long but if your welding thin stuff Ron and burning thru you have to just stab at it you'll get the hang of it you just weld enough to get the steel to start glowing orange then let off then hit it let of hit it let of and so on you get the hang of how long you can hit it before it wants to blow thru but you'll get the feel for it I started out welding with a stick welder dad handed me a hand full of rod gave me a couple pointers then said get to welding make me a dump bed so thats how I started

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I'm impressed the more you weld the easier it will get.I haven't done much welding in 4 to 5 years and hope I don't have to display any work when I start playing again.Aric is the man to listen to. Keep up the good work. ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
oldmisterbill said:
I'm impressed the more you weld the easier it will get.I haven't done much welding in 4 to 5 years and hope I don't have to display any work when I start playing again.Aric is the man to listen to. Keep up the good work. ;Sweet

I must agree misterbill ;Sweet
Got all but a cab corner and some touchup welding to do underneath to go yet. Just keep the supply of wire a coming. I think the count is 11 pounds of flux core so far.
Should tell ya how much metal has been cut out. :eek:
Fortunatly she's not losing any weight from the deal, prolly gaining some with what I have added on to "Beef" things up abit to make her last another 10 years as a daily driver.
Tis gonna hurt tho to have to drive her in the snow tho. Was thinking of that today trying to stal cool.
It was 94 degrees in the shade and I'm in the direct sunlight with jeans, long sleeve utility shirt and welding. cookoo

Pass me another cold one. :thumbsup:
Hopefully with the next 2 weeks off, I can get this pig painted if the drivers door ever gets off back order. -cuss

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the count is 11 pounds of flux core so far.

WOW...What are you doing,snacking on that stuff between welds?:eek:

I've a craftsman 90 amp wire welder and it's worthless for anything over 1/8" unless it's a tack weld. I personnaly don't like flux core welding or the look of it. I'm going to get a new SMAW machine and a can of 7018 3/32" tomorrow and get my shipfitting skills back so I can weld up the trailer I'm building.

TIG is best for aluminum and also by far the easiest to change over to weld different metals like stainless, monel, stellite, copper nickle, brass, aluminum foil etc. Once you get used to it you can do some pretty work.

For MIG on aluminum the best guns I've used were the Cobra, 10 times smaller than the Miller spoolmatics and a hell of alot lighter as it only has a couple rollers in the head to pull the wire from the machine instead of having the entire spool of wire in the head.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ok kiddies,
So what are the odds up to now? :backoff
I know there's a pool going on whether I get this thing done before the rally. :draw
I want in on it too. :D
Darrin, thanks for keeping that thread alive. :backoff :backoff

After chasing parts on 3 trips battling bad front wheel bearings, leaky fuel heater plate o-ring and a fan clutch now going bad on the Beef.
I actually managed to get some work done, but man am I dragging.

Here is a sneak peek. :Sly Just one.

Momma got me a new digital camera and the dang pics are too huge to load here. :confused:
Can't figger how to shrink em under 1mb. :smash: :smash: