A few 6.9l teardown surprises...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Some pleasant, some...not so much.

I found this really odd and still can't figure out what caused it. Pulled the thermostat housing off to find a basically destroyed stat!!

You must be registered for see images attach

The thermostat has never worked since I bought the truck... I had assumed it was left out and planned to replace it when I had time.

Pleasantly surprised to find new .030 over pistons.

Its hard to tell where the headgaskets were leaking. There is no REALLY obvious blowout, so I'm surmising that the head lifted just enough to allow compression gases into the coolant passages on the corners. :dunno

Another curiosity is the white speckles that are present on only #2, #7 & #8... #2 is only very lightly speckled:

#7:

#8:

#2:

No pics of the heads yet, but they have new springs, seals and keepers on them. Will be tearing the front cover off and seeing if the stock cam is still in this surprise filled motor. Wouldn't it be crazy if it already had a typ4 cam in it!??? (It did run REALLY good.)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That thermostst looks like its not the correct factory stat. No idea why it blew apart either but... another really good reason to run only the factory 192 degree thermostat.. You may never actually "see" where the coolant was leaking into the cylinders with the white material on the pistons. But like posted.. Those are the areas of water to piston contact. Plus, no cylinder will have any rust around the top edge either...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
the speckles are corrosion, water was in there. thats what aluminum does.

Yeah, it seems interesting that 3 of them were seeing coolant.

Trying to get the tools to pull the fan off now... the local parts house doesn't seem to be able to get me the right one.:mad:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
doubt it was coolant that did it, how long was the motor sitting? with that rust on the walls, i would say rain got into it threw 3 of the intake valves.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I also found water in the intake. My only idea is that it is from the motor inhaling large amounts of steam when the radiator pressurized and pushed it all out the overflow...:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also found water in the intake. My only idea is that it is from the motor inhaling large amounts of steam when the radiator pressurized and pushed it all out the overflow...:dunno

I would concur on this diagnosis dr.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Save your skin

To get that fan nut off do yourself a favor and get a 1 7/8" wrench. Leave all the belts on and give the wrench a couple of good taps with the BFH. Comes off easy.

1 7/8" Wrench

Wrench on Nut

Couple of good smacks

Save your skin and blood for other stuff. ;)

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Cam is stock!

Cam is out- I tried to loosen the allen head that hols the gear to the cam, but I am just buggering up the thing.

Is it left handed? (I don't think so, but I have tried to leverage it both ways and no love. Couldn't get it loose while it was in the motor, so i pulled the cam and put it in a copper jawed vice.

Any ideas?

I am heading to Sears to see if I can find an allen socket that I can use my impact driver on...:rolleyes:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you kill the bolt, I have spares. they shouldn't be a ***** to remove. the can gear otoh, is a real ***** without the OEM puller. I threw away the gears, but I can recover one if you need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online