A few 6.9l teardown surprises...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Ran to Sears and bought an allen driver set... used an impact driver and TADA!

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't have the special pull, but I do have a small press. Any sage words of advice for pressing it off??

BTW - You guys rock! Thanks for your help. As I said earlier- this is the deepest I have ever delved into a diesel. Hopefully these questions can help someone else down the road.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Rigged something up to pull the gear. Its a 9.99 HF puller and some old 5th wheel hitch brackets and the gear came off easily:

The fuel pump lobe and the collar were another story. Didn't get any pictures, but I used a bearing puller around the bottom of the collar and then pressed it out on the press. It came off without much pressure...

So now its clean up time. Then I can begin reassembly. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Your making good progress but... You know there had to be a but... What was the thrust washer clearnace when you removed all the gear and stuff from the old cam....:dunno Upon reassembly there is a measurement you must get or the new cam is going to walk in and out on you. I don't have the numbers because all my shop manuals are loaned out. Now to get all those pieces on the ned cam just warm them up in the oven but only heat to 250 degrees. Then they will drop on or at the worst need to be slightly pressed on. That cam gear is the newer upgraded gear with the balance lugs found on the back side of it. To know which gear you have just look for the puller drilled and tapped holes in it. If you have those your gear is the unbalanced older one... Get rid of that one and by a new gear. All these idi engines run with a hamonic out of balance that resonates about every 5 seconds and that just drove me nuts till I found out what was causing it. Fixed that reall fast too.. The torque on the tuff gear bolt you had trouble is 25 lbs... Thats all it needs. What year is the engine your working on...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
rid of that one and by a new gear. All these idi engines run with a hamonic out of balance that resonates about every 5 seconds

is that the "shaking" that i feel when sitting at idle? it happens about every 5 seconds like you say. the idle sound and speed does not change but i get a consistant shake. smooth....smooth....smooth...shake...shake.....smooth....smooth

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
What year is the engine your working on...

So... Your making good progress but... You know there had to be a but... What was the thrust washer clearnace when you removed all the gear and stuff from the old cam....:dunno Upon reassembly there is a measurement you must get or the new cam is going to walk in and out on you.

The motor is a 1986.

Your BUT is the biggest surprise of all. I did alot of research on changing cams and this NEVER came up in the hundreds of threads I waded through...

Looks like I need to find a service manual that goes into more detail than the old cover-it-all but not in too much detail Chilton I have.

Thanks for the heads up Gary! I'd rather be stalled tonight then on the side of the road wondering what happened a few weeks later.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just press them off and on, little oil on the parts to prevent galling, some press plates will support just under the front journal, if it does just push it on one piece at a time.
Blue loctite that bolt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well there ya go.. The reason I asked about the before thrust reading was if it was out of specs you would know to buy the thrust washer before you assembled it. Now you have to put it together and measure. Then if its wrong decided what you are going to do. They just press on and off. there is no way of shimming to adjust the thrust... Kinda a simple but crappy idea..

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thrust is .0055!

Ok. Used Gary's 250 degree oven trick and managed to get the cam gear and hardware on with NO 3rd degree burns! Worked pretty slick. Used my laser thermo gun to check the temp as I was concerned about getting them too hot... can't be too careful.

Torqued the Allen on the cam gear to 25 ft/lbs with a dot of blue loctite. I now have a typ4 CAM!!;Sweet Can't wait to see how she pulls now!

Now I have to get some more cleanup work done. The front cover and heads are still wearing gasket and gunk...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your dial indicater says 6 thousands... Sounds good to me. Enjoy the cam.. I'm kinda envious of the cam. I want something differant too.....:angel:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Cleaned up the heads and checked the flatness tonight. Used a Starret Machinist Level and the smallest feeler gauge I have which is .0015; found that the 1.5 thou would slide in just a bit in one or two orientations, so I moved up to the 2 thou gauge. It was a no go.

Did the same on the block. (I know, I know... should have done it before the cam.) It was very flat (1.5 thou or better) except in one spot between #4 and #6 cylinders- still less than 2 thousandths so I am comfortable just running it.

So it looks like this is just going to be a cam and head gasket job. It ran great, used very little oil and had good pressure. Can't see any reason not to start putting it back together.

Called the local Ford dealer to get a factory thermostat and was told it is an obsolete part.:rolleyes: Then called the local International dealer; they don't have one locally and can't get it here until early next week. (Unless I want to pay UPS for express.) $33.15

Only pictures I have tonight are pretty lame:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
is that the "shaking" that i feel when sitting at idle? it happens about every 5 seconds like you say. the idle sound and speed does not change but i get a consistant shake. smooth....smooth....smooth...shake...shake.....smooth....smooth

Yes.. Thats the shakeing you feel.... Funny how such a small thing can do that and bug the heck out of you doing it. Like I have said here many times about my balanced ingine... You can hear it running.. You just can't feel it running...:angel:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called the local Ford dealer to get a factory thermostat and was told it is an obsolete part.:rolleyes: Then called the local International dealer; they don't have one locally and can't get it here until early next week. (Unless I want to pay UPS for express.) $33.15
that's the updated head gasket with all the typical coolant area fail points.
call ford back tomorrow with these part numbers.
it's not obsolete.
i can't stand lazy partsmen.:backoff:backoff:backoff:backoff

Attachments

• SL375488.JPG
    SL375488.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 21

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks Towcat!

Called a Ford dealer a little further away then the ******** who were too lazy to look it up; not in stock, but she said it was in the "Motorcraft Warehouse" and would have one in 45 minutes.;Sweet $26.79 BTW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle