A couple more problems to go!

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, My '88 is running well, but still a little noisey. It sounds like there is a valve tick. I yanked the drivers side valve cover, and the back rocker arm was quite loose. I'm suspecting a bad lifter in that location. I removed the pair of rocker arms, and found the pushrods to be quite worn, as well as the rocker arms where the pushrods contact it. I'm thinking now I need to buy a new set of pushrods, rocker arms, and lifters. Any suggestions on where the best place to get these at? Are there any upgrades that I can do while I'm at it?

My other problem is hard starting. I tested all the glow plugs, and they all showed about 1OHM of resistance, ahd the GP controller stays on around 10 seconds and cycles properly after the WTS light goes off. I've got to really crank it alot to get it to fire, smokes like crazy once it does too. So last night I plugged it in. Went out this morning, and fired right up. Is this an indication that my glow plug system isn't working quite right, or is there something else I should be checking?

sassyrel

Reaction score
10 ohms cold---is tooooooooo much resistance----try i ohm--get new gps--and NOT autolites---get ford berus at autozone--about 9 apiece---

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must've read that incorrectly, it says 1 OHM. I only buy the Beru's from Autozone, and I'm thinking of getting a whole new set just to make sure.

I just wasn't sure if I was looking in the right spot for the problem or not.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, should I check the compression with both a warm and cold engine? I've been procrastinating, but I guess I'll have to go get a compression tester and at least I'd know the condition of my engine.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after reading more and more starting problems, could IP timing cause my hard start problem? If the IP wasn incorrectly timed, would it be hard to start warm and cold both?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, certainly pump timing could cause ahrd starting. The glow plug system sounds like it's working properly. Just be sure you have good connections at all the glow plugs and a good ground at the controller. The system doesn't tolerate much deviation from the design and still work properly. All your smoke makes me think that you might have some fuel/air leaks, such as at the return lines/caps/ orings. Its true that a hot engine will have less trouble starting due to low compression, but so will one that has a lot of air leaks or is losing its prime. Still with the rocker adn push rod wear, you might wnat to check your compression to see what you have. 350-500psi is about right, and they all need to be within 25% of each other. The book says you should test hot, and it would be a good practice...but in practice, that's hard to do without burningyour fingers. A comp. test is not the easiest procedure. Additionally you need to be sure that both batteries, your starter and all your connections on the electric side are good for your test or you will show an inaccurate low reading. Actually I doubt that your compression is low because these things tend to hold their compression well, and if you did have a really worn out motor, it would likely be going through oil like it was going out of style, no power, lots of smoke...etc. Good luck

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got home from work, and this was my first real run in the truck. I feel the power is very good, so I'm thinking the motor is just fine. It seems like it pulls stronger than my 6.9, even though the 6.9 starts better and runs smoother. I do want to run a compression test, just have never done it on a diesel before. I've spent most of my life working on gassers. It almost feels like the glow plugs aren't working at all, but the controller is operating properly. I'm going to check my glowplugs, just to make sure they are heating properly.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since your 6.9 is an 87 you are probably familiar with teh solid state systema dn how it works. Its justa bit harder to tell if the glow plugs are cycling right. From what you describe, it sounds like they are. You should get the "wait" lamp for 7-10 seconds minimum, longer if its colds and then it should fire off almost immediately. My truck has teh SS system, but it has been frankensteined on to the old 6.9 harness, so I know when that light is on the glow plugs have juice. IIRC the real solid state harness is different. Can you also note the lights dim slightly and/or an ammeter drop when you switch teh key on? The 1 ohm reading is in the good range that's similar to what a new or lightly used GP would be..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing would have to be off significantly to make that much of a difference.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the lift pump is weak and giving me problems? I'd hate to install a Holley Red Pump and find that to not be the problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is what I paid for these from Ford Parts Online. Pushrods... 83.84.... Rocker arms...251.68....turbo oil cooler bundle...368.32.... rear oil cooler header....264.40. I wouldn't buy the new cam because they wanted 560.63 for it. The rear main seal was 45.86. International soaked me 98.00 for the same part. I ruined one when I tried to install it. Geezzz