A BUNCH OF SHOCK QUESTIONS

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I have looked at dozens of sites.

When I find the part# listings for F-350, it always says in fine print "does not fit DRW"

What does a DRW guy do for finding the right numbers ??:confused:

I would assume that there should be no difference in the front shocks.

2. My decision is between Rancho 5000s or Heckethorn Nitro 9000s.

What, good and bad, can those that have used them say for these shocks ??

3. Are these part numbers correct for Rancho 5000s on 1985 DRW F-350 Cab-Chassis Ton:

Front = RS 5029

Rear = RS 5118

Thanks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When there's no part number, try the manufacturer web site, if nothing there, they don't make one for the application, and there aren't a lot of aftermarket shocks for the DRW application.

Bilstein does have a set for the things. I got a set of Bilsteins heavy duty all around on mine and love them to pieces. The ride empty is a few zillion times better than the old heavy duty shocks that were on it, and it handles better with the 5er in tow.
I got them from the eshock website. Price wasn't bad either.

---------Robert

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me like websites are very sketchy in the information that they give.

Years ago, good old timey catalogues used to give every dimension of a product, such as a shock.

Armed with such information, one could measure what they had, and find a replacement item of the same measurements, being confident that, since the numbers worked, the product would fit.

Maybe I just don't know where to look for this information.:confused:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You're not going crazy, when I was looking for shocks, I hunted a number of brands only to find they didn't make one to fit the DRW except for the basic stock or really harsh riding commercial type shocks ( which I already had on mine.....ouch ) options are pretty limited for these things.

I have Monroe reflex on a couple of cars and really like them and tried to see if Monroe had any of their higher end shocks to fit, nothing in the catalog, they have all their specs online except the dampening rate and the only thing they had in a high end shock that matched the size specs turned out to be for a little Isuzu, and you know that wasn't going to work :rotflmao , even after emailing their tech folks, they came back to me with the same part number ...with no promises that it would work at all on the thing. If you try to cross one to match the dimensions, it's darn near impossible to tell if it's going to be able to handle the kind of load you're likely to see without bouncing like a pogo stick.

---------Robert

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear shocks on my DRW F-350 mount at the bottom to brackets that are held to the axle-tube with one u-bolt per bracket.

The top end fastens to a shock-bolt at the in-board top of the frame.

How are the shocks mounted on the rear of a SRW F-250/350 ??

In-board or out-board ??

Both in front of the axle, or one in front one behind ??

Some pictures of the SRW rear shock mountings would be nice.

Thanks.

suv7734

Reaction score
'88 F-350 SRW 4x4 passenger side rear top

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 18

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. suv 7734.

Now, if someone with a 2WD F-250 SRW will examine those pictures and note any differences in the way the rear shocks mount on them.

My rear mounting only differs in that those bottom mounts are welded on the axle-tube, whereas, mine are U-bolted on.

Again, thanks for the pictures.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online