A Bunch of Misc. Questions I Need Help With!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.) My glowplugs all need to be replaced, can't start my truck anymore unless it's been plugged in for an hour or was just recently running and still somewhat warm. Next week I have 8 new Motorcrafts coming in to install, but today I noticed a lot of the yellow-ish plastic pieces around the wires of the GPs are cracked, brittle and some broken too. Can these be replaced and how do I replace them? I know when I try to remove the GPs these are going to break too.
Female bullet connectors can be used, if the metal clip inside of the plastic is fine you don't need to replace it then. Heat shrink over the end can keep em tidy. I don't think anyone ever found a supply of those connections :dunno

2.) I want to flush the radiator/cooling system soon, and just wanted a final answer on a good common antifreeze to use and how many gallons of antifreeze + water, I think I've heard 4gal each? And whats the proper method of flushing these, same as a gasser in which I can just put the garden hose in the highest point and run it till it's clear water, or is it different?
Flushing like that is fine, some will warn you about minerals but whatever. Some here like Evans waterless coolant, I run ELC made by shell from the international store without problems. Others like to use test strips to monitor SCA levels, SCAs protect the engine from cavitation where water worms a hole through a cylinder...

3.) I noticed while changing my serp. belt the other day that my fan has a little play/wobble to it, just a small back and forth motion and rather little, but I wasn't sure if any play in this is ok or not? If not, what's it mean?
some play is fine iirc, to make sure the fan is good get the system hot and see if it tightens up (locks up)

Thats about what I know, not sure on your gauge issue.
Sorry