99 and up stock HPOP is a OBS, questions

Reaction score
I read an article in I think Diesel Power a while back about installing a newer 99 an dup stock HPOP in an OBS with the older 94 and up 7.3. I cannot locate the article now. What are the differences between the two? How would that newer style work with my Terminator HPOP? What is a good brand to go with? I have heard to stay away from Cardone products. I am doing a lot of parts swapping and lot of work in general to my tore down 95 F350 right now. So this seems like a good time for me to do this upgrade as well.

built4tq1

Reaction score
The 99+ pumps are set with a 17 degree pump while the obs trucks utilize a 15 degree pump. do you have ourAre you planning bigger injectors? hybrids? if so i would go with the later style pumps they flow a bit more volume. do You have a twin terminator setup now?

built4tq1

Reaction score
The swash plate (which acts much like a cam in a hpop) is what is in discussion when 15 or 17 degree (s) is mentioned... so.... the more of a foot you put on that plate, its almost like increasing the lobe lift on a cam in an engine app. The more degree to the plate the longer the stroke on the pistons. Which equates to more oil that can be pushed out of the bores because of the longer stroke cycle from the increased lift of the swash plate....Ill see if i can find a diagram to further this for you....and perhaps you already know how these pumps work? The 17* pump is without a doubt an upgrade for the obs trucks....weather or not your installing injectors.....just a tune alone will benefit from such a swap. What are your plans for this truck? since the unit is down at the moment it would be best to decide what your future plans would incorporate much less "now". I know that's a tuffy....for me myself it seems i can never make up my mind when it comes to building.....But that's what makes for an awesome one off build.....All in what ive told you is just what ive learned through hands on and reading.....More will chime in to give you and me more advice.

Reaction score
Right now the engine has BDP stage one injectors, a DP Tuner, Terminator HPOP, Banks intercooler, and I am planning some turbo mods.

Thanks for the write up, that does help me understand. but now the question is, will it be a good thing to add to what I already have?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will help you to swap to the ****** hpop but it wont work on a 94-95 without some mods.94-95s have a check valve in the hpop to prevent the oil from draining back into the pan.the 96-03s have the check valve in the timing cover.its an easy mod that doesnt take long.i figured out how to do it and my truck was the first to have this mod done to it and ive never had a drain back issue with it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now the engine has BDP stage one injectors, a DP Tuner, Terminator HPOP, Banks intercooler,

you may want to ask terminator about the drain back issue.it may be a none issue with thier setup as long as your front pump stays stock.im running the stealth with twin SD hpops wich is why i had to mod my timing cover.

Reaction score
Do you have any photographs or maybe know of a write up on correcting the drain back issue? This is the first I have heard of it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you said you already have a terminator HPOP on the motor?give them a call and see if the drainback is an issue for you.your front pump may have the check valve in it.

if youre putting the HPOP on the 96-97 motor than you would either have to send the pump back and have them swap the front pump or swap the timing cover.but you could also do a reverse timing cover mod,just drill a hole in the cavity where i used a self tapper to close the hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online