'97 turns over, won't start

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got this '97 OBS that I aquired recently. The PO said he was driving down the road, headed home from work and it started to white smoke. He said it smoked "for a mile or two" then lost power. He said when he pulled over, it died and hasn't hit since. That was about 3 years ago. Where would be a good place to start looking for problems. I'm a IDI fan and this is my first PS.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
check all the fuses. the fuel heater likes to short out and blow the maxi fuse for the pcm. also check the fuel pressure

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the sensor on top of the oil res at the front of the engine to check if there was any oil in it and it was bone dry. I filled the res with oil and also filled the fuel filter housing with fuel. After putting the batteries off my '92 on it, it turned over a few times and started to smoke. I topped everything off again and hooked cables to another truck, turned it over a few more times and it busted off. I remember pulling that sensor and putting oil in the hole while watching another guy work on one of these trucks years ago, but I dondn't remember what for, evidently it worked on this one.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know a great deal about the early PSD's. When I have trouble I have the AE scanner to help me out, pull the codes if any. If the SES lite comes on, then there is codes to read. The most problems with the PSD is the CPS (Cam Positioner), the UVCH (under Valve Cover Harness), this harness connector likes to come partially unplugged under the VC, mostly drivers side, the 97's have two connectors each side, the ICP (Injector Control Pressure sensor), the IPR (Injector Pressure Regulator). If the 30 amp fuse blows IIRC #22, that feeds the fuel heater in the Filter and PCM. Below is the replacement for the heater. I don't know why your HPOP reservior was empty, but it is kept full from the Low pressure pump, possible the pickup screen in the oil pan is partially plugged. The EPR (Exhaust Pressure Regulator) will give you trouble also, the tube going down to the exhaust will plug up or have holes rusted in it, the sensor will become plugged also, Here is Guzzles maintenance, it's for 2002 but all PSD's are close, use what you can. http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ebps.php http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/index.php
Heater is available from IH dealer $26.
You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 6
  • PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 8

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after it started, it ran pretty good. I let it warm up and reved it a few times. The idle smoothed out and I didn't notice any kind of miss. I didn't drive it anywhere because it dosn't have wheels on it because I didn't expect it to start at all. After I get it to where it can go down the road, and change the oil, I'll check lube pressure and see where that is at. Is there anything else I could be worried about with that res being empty, or could that be normal as it sat for over 3 years?

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that it's hard to start. It cranks over about 20 times befor it busts off, every time. Could that have somthing to do with ICP?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
the hpop may be losing prime. check it again before you crank it after a night or two and see if its low again.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it won't start on the first couple of revolutions, check the HPOP reservoiur to see if it's full, should be just 3/4" down from the top.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you check it do you pull the plug to the right or the sensor or dose it matter? Also, are you supposed to suck that oil out periodically, I heard that but never knew for sure

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you check it do you pull the plug to the right or the sensor or dose it matter? Also, are you supposed to suck that oil out periodically, I heard that but never knew for sure

Why would you pull a sensor when there is a fill/checking plug? No need to suck the oil out, the oil is constantly being changed when the engine is running.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving the truck for a few days now and have gone through two tanks of fuel. I just checked the HPOP res and it was about a half inch down from the top. Everything looks and runs good. I got lucky on this one, I nearly stole the truck for next to nothing cause the guy was convinced he needed a new engine.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it gives you trouble again you should check the base oil pressure. I have seen a couple of failed base oil pumps. Based oil pump feeds HP oil pump. HP oil pump feeds HP oil to actuate the injectors. You lose base oil pressure or have very weak pressure, and the HP oil pump loses prime. Injectors stop injecting and engine dies. I have seen some failed oil pumps that would work intermittently.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a fuel gauge hooked up to it for the last few days and am planning on putting in an oil pressure gauge as soon as my new gauge pod comes in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7