97 Tahoe fully loaded with 205000 miles no start

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm new to the chevy diesel world but am familiar with the 7.3 idi in the older fords.

Found a fully loaded, excellent condition 87 Tahoe 2dr 4x4 for $900 with 205k miles.

It is a not starting right now and mechanic is saying it needs new glow plugs and injector pump.

I've done some quick reading but want to confirm if there are any other (cheaper) problems it might be before I decide its worth it to buy and rebuild...

I've read about the PMD, and optical sensor, anything else I should think about???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you sure this is a tahoe and not a 'burb?
if it is really a tahoe, it's a very rare truck. iirc GM never put a diesel in the tahoe chassis.
easy way to tell if it's a tahoe is the rear doors have the wheelwell notch, the burb has a full rear door without cutouts.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2dr Tahoe. Diesels are few and far between but they do exist. I'm familiar with the different between burb and Tahoe, I own a 97 4dr gasser Tahoe that lives her life in La Paz, Mexico.

Still looking for more info.

How about R&R on the pump, injectors, and glow plugs? Harder than the 7.3 idi???

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't blame the ip to begin with. Grounds, glow plug regulator, pmd, and ops/lift pump are all issues you need to check before replacing the ip.