97-7.3 liter auto

pioneerscot

Reaction score
Any one else installed a drain plug for the automatic transmission pan ?
Just realized my truck did not have one sooo,,, I drilled off to the side of the elevated pan magnet and welded in a backing nut. The pan is galvanized so if any one is going to do this take precautions for breathing. I also had to file the area by hand with a fine flat file to get a nice smooth surface for the gasket.
Really quite easy, Not sure Why Ford thought it would be a good idea to leave it out though.
Bought the truck with 204,000 mi and the trans had been changed, Does this tranny give a lot of issues ?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Any one else installed a drain plug for the automatic transmission pan ?
Just realized my truck did not have one sooo,,, I drilled off to the side of the elevated pan magnet and welded in a backing nut. The pan is galvanized so if any one is going to do this take precautions for breathing. I also had to file the area by hand with a fine flat file to get a nice smooth surface for the gasket.
Really quite easy, Not sure Why Ford thought it would be a good idea to leave it out though.
Bought the truck with 204,000 mi and the trans had been changed, Does this tranny give a lot of issues ?

no--the later ones are relatively trouble free--course--if someone was trying to pull a freight train or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao should have welded the nut in the bottom of the pan---done multitudes of them---

pioneerscot

Reaction score
I welded the nut on the inside of the pan, welded the full circumference to minimize the possibility of leaks, I hope,then drove it 50 mi right after and drained the fluid again no leaks. Got 6 quarts out. I will do this several times to flush it out, Is this kinda what others do for flush, Or do you take the lines off at the radiator ?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can use the pan from the 4R100. Comes with a drain plug now. This is the replacement for the outdated E4OD pan. It's a hair bigger and uses a rubber gasket. No more leaks.:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
In reality, if you want to get the fluid changed out, best way is to get a 5 gal bucket, measure off 1 gal increments, then temove the line at the rad that goes back to the tranny and run a hose from it to the bucket. have someone cranke the engine till fluid reaches the first 1 gal mark in the bucket and have them turn it off refill the fluid then have them fire it again and go until it hits the 2 gal mark, stop, top it off, refill, keep this up until the fluid running from the hose is nice fresh clean fluid, then you are good to go.
If the filter for that tranny is an actual filter type you can stop after the first gal pump down and drop the pan and replace it, but if it's a screen, don't waste your time, those type really do not require replacing.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a drain in my E4OD pan, but not the way you did it - they actually sell those kits for like $5 or so, you drill out that dimple that the magnet sits around and then install the drain setup in there, it's basically a hollow 1/2" bolt (has a nut on the inside of the pan, you slip the magnet around the nut too, fits perfect) with another smaller bolt threaded in it, you install the big bolt once and that's it. The only thin is the gaskets it comes with are plastic, but most parts stores do carry copper washers and those you can tighten down a lot and they don't leak a drop. Piece of cake install, no welding needed.

pioneerscot

Reaction score
cookoo I shoulda went here first. Oh well luckily I am a welder so it was no problem.
Thanks for the flush idea, That is what i was kinda thinking but i like the measuring idea, Is it super messy ? How many gallons ( quarts ) does this trans hold ?
I already changed the black plastic filter, not sure what type of filtering medium was inside though, and now it went out with the trash pick up.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Click on the IDI Tech Articles. Scroll down to How to flush an E4OD or 4R100

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger