94 idi turbo flexplate- help

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a page from the Ford manual describing the differences in the N/A and Turbo engines....

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can also see the factory serial number on Thewespaul's factory turbo flexplate. It's stamped in ink. By the serial number, it was listed as a 1994 part.

712syclone

Reaction score
yeah, very true same around here in NW Iowa there really isnt any reputable machine shops around here if it isnt a chevy they havent a clue i wouldnt trust them to sharpen a pencil!

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get a flexplate cloned? Such things aren't done in the upper midwest, people just park the busted up vehicles in a shelter belt forever.

Get me one real sample and tell me how many you want. And one at a time is OK as long as I have a sample.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I have one, but I don't know if everyone in this post is in agreement.

I think you do as well.It all adds up.I can't explain why it differs from Thewespaul's though.That's interesting.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,maybe back when the trucks were 5-10 yrs old they made them? It doesn't look like an N/A so it's as good a guess as any lol.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems IDI diesels are outliving their flexplates. It is waste to park a otherwise functioning truck because of a lack of a flexplate. I have been running an 89 with the flywheel/flexplate combo. That flexplate died. I am replacing the 89 with a 93 IDI turbo. That means I need the external balance parts for both the front and rear. The lack of those parts has been a discussion issue for at least several years, so a long term source would seem to be useful.

I currently know three ways to get a turbo flexplate.

Plan 1: Get a non turbo flexplate, and re-balance it. My rough numbers are, $70-100 for a non turbo flexplate, $80 to balance it, and several shipping charges. That puts the total somewhere above $250.

Plan 2: A billet aluminum plate with a standard steel ring gear. That is a custom part. The first unit would be $600. If I could order ten they would be $300 each.

Plan 3: Get a non turbo flex plate, have the rotating assembly balanced to use that flex plate.

I decided to use the 89 flywheel/flexplate combo. I took the parts to the shop last Wednesday, it was finished Friday. $155. I was able to find a NOS turbo damper. It cost more than the balance job. And the balance still needed to compensate for the turbo damper. I probably could have used a non turbo damper.

But now I have a balanced engine, and a simple, replaceable flex plate.

Yea, I know, who is going to disassemble their engine because the flex plate died? If plan A is what is desirable, is there someone who monitors this list, and has a business, and would be willing to supply turbo flexplates one at a time?