94 factory turbo 7.3IDI HP mods

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got a '94 turbo f-250. made my own intake tubing with a big conical filter, improved the exhuast as much as i could, and had the pump rebuilt and bench adjusted 25% over stock. i installed an F.W. Murphy dual pyrometer (a probe in each manifold and two seperate gauges in the same three inch housing). i need more air (turbo mods) and an intercooler... any ideas?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I put an 01 powerstroke intercooler on mine.... gunna need to do some custom fabbing of the pipework to make it work..... I still think the best thing I did to mine was the free flowing 4" to 5" exhaust and the bigger downpipe. i have a 3" intake and a big K&N filter, I guess that does okay. Theres not really tons more you can do... a moose pump and injectors, but thats going to set you back some for sure........ If I think of anything else I'll post.... or someone else will chime in shortly....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone is putting a turbo kit up for sale soon, that is your best mod for the buck.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What turbo kit is going to be so much better than the factory ATS kit that you'll notice a difference? From what I've read, almost all of the turbo systems do just about the same performance gains.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I think he may have meant the upgrade kit, not sure though. I would definitely look into the ATS upgrade kit for the factory turbo. The ATS 093 turbo is the same turbo as the factory one on the fords, but the ford turbo has a more restrictive exhaust housing and a crushed downpipe. Adding the upgrade kit will give you a 3"(or was it 3.5") downpipe and a bigger exhaust housing, resulting in better boost and lower egts. My ideal setup if I had another IDI would be head studs, ATS 093, 4" straight exhaust, moose pump, and BB code injectors, plus an intercooler and aluminum rad.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you upgrade the downpipe? That is your biggest gain since the stock one is flat. I also wrapped all my turbo pipes and housing with header wrap, it helped to gain a little more boost. Have you shortened the rod on the wastegate? Thats how to build more boost, I have mine set to about 12psi but it will spike 14 when cold outside.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Also what Ironman said.... you can shorten that wastegate rod...... I would suggest having some gauges if you do that, just in case, don't wanna tear anything up..... I think most of the basics have been covered......

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I also recently heard that Hypermax is working on injectors, but I can't confirm that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely missed the turbo part, duh, long day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online