94 e4od on 2001 PSD?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Would a 94 e4od work on a 2001 7.3? I was asked about this yesterday and I would think it wouldn't but thought I'd ask here out of curiosity.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
They are the same housings(the E4OD and the 4R100) BUT the they use different electronics. If you swaped the 4R100 electronics into the E4OD it would probably work

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the bellhousing pattern was a bit different as well. I know the pattern between the ZF6 and ZF5 is different.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts also. I didn't think a ZF-5 or E-4OD would bolt to a 99 or later superduty motor.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
a 6.9,7.3 and 7.3 powerstroke all have the same bell housing pattern. that is why the ZF5 and ZF 6 can be interchanged

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 6.9,7.3 and 7.3 powerstroke all have the same bell housing pattern. that is why the ZF5 and ZF 6 can be interchanged

ZF5 and ZF6 pattern are not the same and can't be interchanged. The bellhousing on the ZF6 is deeper and the input shaft is shorter. The ZF6 on 2nd gen 7.3 powerstrokes have a different bellhousing bolt pattern compared to the IDI. The 2 dowel pins, and 4 lower bolts do match up. The upper 2 bolts are lower and are the main difference.

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
ZF5 and ZF6 pattern are not the same and can't be interchanged. The bellhousing on the ZF6 is deeper and the input shaft is shorter. The ZF6 on 2nd gen 7.3 powerstrokes have a different bellhousing bolt pattern compared to the IDI. The 2 dowel pins, and 4 lower bolts do match up. The upper 2 bolts are lower and are the main difference.

Heath

I have seen more than one ZF 6 behind a 94-97 powerstroke. Guess you need to swap the Adapter plate with the trans. because there is NO DIFFERENCE in the 94-03 7.3 blocks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen more than one ZF 6 behind a 94-97 powerstroke. Guess you need to swap the Adapter plate with the trans. because there is NO DIFFERENCE in the 94-03 7.3 blocks

Ford does some crazy stuff. Why did they (Ford or ZF or both) change the pattern on the transmission and keep the pattern on the block the same?cookoo:D If a 1st gen PSD can bolt on the 2nd gen's trans adaptor......... can that same adaptor bolt to an IDI block? Never seen all three side by side.

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ford does some crazy stuff. Why did they (Ford or ZF or both) change the pattern on the transmission and keep the pattern on the block the same?cookoo:D If a 1st gen PSD can bolt on the 2nd gen's trans adaptor......... can that same adaptor bolt to an IDI block? Never seen all three side by side.

Heath

I would "assume" so.:confused:

philofab

Dirty ****
Reaction score
The 2001 4R100 will have a VSS sensor in the extension housing that the E4OD would not have. Additionally the extension housing for the 4wd has the mount in a different spot.

I believe some of the internals are different and even if you swap the solenoids it may not shift 100% correctly.

The earlier E4OD is also rated at less torque. 750 vs 1000 I think.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no difference in the bell bolt pattern between an idi or 7.3 psd.the adapter plate won't interchange they bolt to the block differently.you can bolt a 6 speed spicer into you trucks if you get an ih bell housing, adapter and flywheel from a

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I didn't think it would bolt up, and I was sure the electronics were different. The ideas that people come up with to try to save money.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Would a 94 e4od work on a 2001 7.3? I was asked about this yesterday and I would think it wouldn't but thought I'd ask here out of curiosity.

The PCM needs a signal from the TSS and OSS sensors. There are no provision on the E4OD for those sensors.

You can use the 4R100 in place of the E4OD. You can't go reverse.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any idi E4OD trans will bolt to the psd up to about 97 but... The E4OD torque convert has 4 bolts where the psd has 6 bolts. Can you change the torque converters.....:dunno The flexplates between the idi and the psd will not swap out either... We have 9 bolts to the crank and they have 10 bolts and they are much larger bolts too..

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Any idi E4OD trans will bolt to the psd up to about 97 but... The E4OD torque convert has 4 bolts where the psd has 6 bolts. Can you change the torque converters.....:dunno The flexplates between the idi and the psd will not swap out either... We have 9 bolts to the crank and they have 10 bolts and they are much larger bolts too..

Yeah the tc was another thing I brought up to him. I didn't know though that the psd used more bolts in the crank. I haven't ever had the opportunity to pull a trans off a psd.
I really didn't think it would work.