94.5 zf5 grinding into 2nd..

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my trans is grinding going into second if i shift to fast.. i dont know the history of this truck and i want to change the tranny fluid today.. Ive been told to use lucas semi syn(3qts) and a qt of lucas oil stabliizer. filled from the top with the stick taken out. is this common practice? and 75w140 in the rear diff..

Last edited:

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of guys including myself are running the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Might as well change the Transfer Case fluid too, while you're at it.

I would recommend filling through the fill plug which is found on the drivers side of the tranny. That way you can avoid over-filling.

I use a hand pump that screws right onto the jug and sends the fluid through a little hose. Got it from Amazon. Best $5 I ever spent.

ZF5 (w/o PTO) will take 3.5 Quarts and T-case (w/o PTO) will take 2 Quarts.

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No transfer case on a 2wd.. I changed it 3 quarts of lucas semi syn ATF and a quart of lucas oil stabilizer filled thru the shifter hole... Shifts perfect now.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had a grind going 2nd to 3rd. I changed the fluid with Amsoil syn ATF and my grind went away. I'm a believer in synthetics in the gear boxes. Worth the extra coin to me and defiantly made a difference.