94.5 HPOP Replacement

cheetah

Reaction score
Morning,

Bought my first diesel about one month ago. Got it for a good price because it didn't run right.

I believe I figured out the problem, but wanted some additional input before I tear into the motor.

For the record, the batteries and starter - all three are new as of yesterday morning. Wally-World MaxxLife Batteries and a Napa starter. The charger has been on the batteries all night.

It will start and run - with either. I get a code P1211. After my readings, this is not one of the most desireable findings.

It starts, runs, and will run on its own if the enging cranks a litter faster that what the starter can do (either). After it got hot, I had to keep my foot on it to keep it running - about 1K RPM. My guess is the HPOP is on it's way out because the truck need to run at a highr RPM to produce the needed oil PSI for the injectors.

I am not getting any blue smoke out of the tail, so I don't believe any of the injector o-rings are leaking.

Thoughts?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably just needs an IPR valve or o-rings on the IPR valve. HPOPs are pretty sturdy.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Ill second that.
does the truck have the rite oil in it? And enough oil since we are there? (15W40)?
Ken

cheetah

Reaction score
I did see a post / comment on the internet about how foamy oil is bad news for this engine - a lot worse than air in the fuel. It made me think of the last time I ran it, it sat and idled for a few minutes, shut it off and checked the oil. The dip stick was covered with air bubbles.

I changed the oil and it literraly made a word of difference. I bought three, five quart jugs of the Motorcraft PSD 15W-40 and a Ford filter - FL 1995. I'm trying to stay with a Ford theme here. And for those of you who are wondering, I did put all 15 quarts in. I pre-filled that MONSTER oil filter, filled the engine and it's running so much better. I filled up the front tank with fuel, changed the fuel filter and have put 70 miles on it so far.

It started up, all on it's on own with it being ~15°F this morning. I am going to change the oil again this weekend to flush the system. It sat for a good long while before I bought it; the tags expired in 2006.

Are there any reccomended additives that I can use that will help flush the system? The high pressure regulator seems to stick just a little bit yet.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try This Ran some thru my PSD at 149.5K miles, changed oil at 158K, Blackstone Lab. analysis showed no wear and everything else was well within the limits. Just changed my oil at 161K for the 2nd flush. Sending in the 2nd sample for an analysis. Ask RLDSL what he think's of Auto-RX. Had approx. 8500 miles on the first change due to a 6000 mile trip and didn't want to change the oil on the way, used 3 Qts. on the trip pulling a 25' GN loaded most of the way with a GVW of 19900.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online