93 F250 7.3 IDI non-turbo 4x4, 5speed / "131k" miles

Bowtech28

Reaction score
Thing is , if it starts and runs for a couple of sec then dies generaly the pump has to be good because otherwise it wouldnt even start. is it possible your sucking air at the tank pick up because of the way it is sitting. IE the broken fuel pick up deal.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some good news and some bad news. I ended up draining my fuel filter using the drain plug. I then purged the air as my apprentice was cranking... It started just fine. I parked it, came out 6 hours later, cranked it and it started without issues. The good news, the problem could not be replicated. The bad news is, not knowing what the problem was may mean it will be back.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So draining the filter did something... Did you collect the fuel draining out. How did you get the filter to break suction so the fuel would drain out. How much fuel came out.. What you might have done is "fixed it" by opening and closeing the bottom drain... Thats been done before. Crap gets stuck in the drain valve seat when you open it to drain off something.. Then it feels tight but crap under the seat holds it open. Then it will drian down over nite or a shorter length of time. Can you see the fuel that drained out. Reason I ask this is because the drain line on many trucks drains way below the filter off the filter mount bracket.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this filter:

You must be registered for see images

The fuel starter pouring out as soon as I opened it. There way no way to catch because valve cover was in the way.. I could not find my small bowl. What should I do if that's the case?

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today's test, parking up hill, resulted in a abrupt halt. The engine started immediately, and died 4 seconds after. Curiously, I took off the first front passenger side injector line, the one with injector line spacer next to the fuel filter, and i did not find any copper washers installed. I did not personally replace these lines; I outsourced it to someone else while they were fixing my broken brake cable. Where do these copper washers go? I remember seeing them in the kit.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Today's test, parking up hill, resulted in a abrupt halt. The engine started immediately, and died 4 seconds after. Curiously, I took off the first front passenger side injector line, the one with injector line spacer next to the fuel filter, and i did not find any copper washers installed. I did not personally replace these lines; I outsourced it to someone else while they were fixing my broken brake cable. Where do these copper washers go? I remember seeing them in the kit.

The copper washers go in between the injector and the head.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I spoke with the company whom I purchased the return lines from, and they confirmed the same thing. They suggested I block off the line in between the fuel filter and last-T injector return line. I may try that next.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking uphill, down hill sideways, upside down, and etc makes no difference. The truck started and shut off immediately with truck facing downhill. I did not have the time to block off the return line back to the filter due to work engagement that lasted until 330 AM last night. The hunt continues.

EDIT: To add insult to the injury, my battery decides to take a walk.. A quick call to NAPA, and $250 later, they are delivering batteries to my front door.

Last edited:

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I soldered shut the filter return line at the filter valve, and will be putting an end cap on the injector side, and the filter side. Hoping that this cures the air intrusion problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue appears to be fixed by blocking the return line going back to the fuel filter. I soldered the copper fitting that goes into the oil filter plate. I will be completely eliminating this line and plugging it with diesel safe rubber end caps.