'93 F-250 Dually: Pre-King Ranch "King Ranch"?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats really crazy is that an XL truck of today is nicer optioned then the older lariats.

Yes, I can attest to this....

Earlier this year, I sold my 88 F-250 IDI 2wd, XLT Lariat. It had A/C, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM/Cassette Stereo, two-tone paint, carpet, rear slider, cloth seat. Fairly well decked out truck.

The 11 F-150 V-6 2wd XL, has A/C, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM/6 Disk CD/Line In Stereo, Towing package Vinyl Floor. I’m happy with the way it’s equipped.

Both have manual windows and locks. So a new “cheap” package is equivalent to a Lariat in the 80/90’s

Even stepping up to the XLT Sport in the new trucks (Dad has a 16) the options it brings makes the IDI era Lariat look like a base model..... I’ve not been in a King Ranch or Platinum, but can just imagine.....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if the adapter and dually wheel cancel eachother out perfectly it wont change, but I'd be surpised if the tire isnt further out in the wheel well. Oldiron may be able to confirm that if yall compare measurements in the wheel well.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why he said that about the dually wheel adapters, Since your truck was born a extended cab, it has the dana 50 ttb frontend, and Ford used dually adapters on that frontend till 1985.5 on the chassis cab f350's. Here's a picture of the adapters.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can attest to this....

Earlier this year, I sold my 88 F-250 IDI 2wd, XLT Lariat. It had A/C, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM/Cassette Stereo, two-tone paint, carpet, rear slider, cloth seat. Fairly well decked out truck.

The 11 F-150 V-6 2wd XL, has A/C, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM/6 Disk CD/Line In Stereo, Towing package Vinyl Floor. I’m happy with the way it’s equipped.

Both have manual windows and locks. So a new “cheap” package is equivalent to a Lariat in the 80/90’s

Even stepping up to the XLT Sport in the new trucks (Dad has a 16) the options it brings makes the IDI era Lariat look like a base model..... I’ve not been in a King Ranch or Platinum, but can just imagine.....

Can also attest, I have a '06 F-350 Lariat and it's damn near *too* luxurious for a truck. And that's nothing like the new ones. The OBS and back feel like actual real trucks to me.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why he said that about the dually wheel adapters, Since your truck was born a extended cab, it has the dana 50 ttb frontend, and Ford used dually adapters on that frontend till 1985.5 on the chassis cab f350's. Here's a picture of the adapters.

Thanks for the info and pics, gonna put this on my list for nxt seasons projects. Just doesn't seem kosher with 2 different wheels

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if the adapter and dually wheel cancel eachother out perfectly it wont change, but I'd be surpised if the tire isnt further out in the wheel well. Oldiron may be able to confirm that if yall compare measurements in the wheel well.
Yes any pics of this would be apprectated. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I have here.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another oddity about it is it's not using hub extensions on the front like a normal dually, it's just running stock steel wheel on the front with a dually simulator hubcap.
I may be wrong, but this would make me question it actually being a conversion made by a major company such as King Ranch or Centurion. It sounds to me like a home made job.

harrietnorth

Reaction score
The hub assembly between a Dana 50 (TTB or Straight axle) and Dana 60 are interchangeable..
Hub assembly's from a dually dana 60 can be found, and its a very easy swap.

If you have a dana 44HD (which my 88 idi has), then spacers are your only option. The front wheel spacers that Ford used are a parts unicorn.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but this would make me question it actually being a conversion made by a major company such as King Ranch or Centurion. It sounds to me like a home made job.

I'm pretty sure it's not a Centurion, it's hard to miss their conversions with all the rails and visors and stuff, and this is all stock trim except for the extra wheels. Seems that someone did it privately, KR or a subsequent owner. Carfax shows first owner to 10 years, then about 5 each for the next 3 owners so anyone could have done it.

I get the feeling that the last couple years owner was a kid who got it cheap(ish) then hacked the doors for bigger cheap speakers and screwed the panels back on with drywall screws.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have F250 dually I bought from the original owner. She said the dealer did the conversion when it was new.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's not a Centurion, it's hard to miss their conversions with all the rails and visors and stuff, and this is all stock trim except for the extra wheels. Seems that someone did it privately, KR or a subsequent owner.
I wasn't trying to suggest that either company did the conversion. I only was using them as examples of big companies that do/did quality jobs.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it does have dually wheels on the front. I'll check tomorrow to be sure and report back. I bought it as a parts truck. Only 90k miles (buy the looks you wouldn't know) I've driven it once then life happened and nothings been done to it in nearly a year.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look inside the rear wheel wells. Centurion did a hatchet job on the Styleside box to clearance for the inside dual, then added the dually fiberglass fenders to the side of the box. I have an '87 F350 4X4 Styleside Centurion that was converted to a dually this way. I have 2 Centurion F350 conversions and you are right that there is typically a Centurion identifier somewhere. Plus, Centurion used different markers on the dually fenders. Yours looks like it has factory dually markers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online