1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 f350 idi wont start after reaching operating temp.

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by David Johnson, Apr 9, 2019.

1. David Johnson

David Johnson Registered User

Hi guys. I just bought my first idi and its having some issues. It starts fine first thing in the morning but after running for 15 to 20 mins if you shut it off it WILL NOT crank for a couple hours. Kind of the opposite of problems ive had in the past . Also its a automatic and runs through all gears fine but slips in reverse. Im excited about getting this truck from the research Ive done these idi engines look really tough and wallet friendly. TIA.

20190408_134059.jpg

2. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

You say it will not CRANK again after it warms up. Do you mean that the engine will not turn over, or do you mean the engine will not fire? If the engine turns over but will not fire, try pouring a glass or so of cool water over the IP. Cool, not cold. If it will then fire you have a heat soak problem with the IP, and will most likely need to replace it. If it will not turn over I'd start looking at electrical.

3. David Johnson

It will turn over but not fire.

4. nelstomlinson

nelstomlinson Full Access Member

Sounds like a worn injection pump. Replace it and the injectors. Get them from Conestoga Diesel, or Classic Diesel Designs, or R&D, all of whom support this board and us IDI owners.

Until you get it replaced, pour a pint of water over the pump to cool it and re-start.

Alwaysreadyrob likes this.
  5. David Johnson

Thanks for the info. Ill go try that in a few mins.

6. Black dawg

Black dawg Registered User

Make sure that cranking speed is good. Should crank over faster hot than when cold

Alwaysreadyrob and Thewespaul like this.
  7. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Very good point on cranking speed, and thank y’all for the recommendation

Op, start by cleaning the battery, starter and ground connections, I know in my climate that if I don’t clean them every other oil change the cranking speed will start to deteriorate. If that doesn’t seem to have an affect and the engine seems to already spin over well when hot, there’s a couple pump adjustments that can temporarily fix some hot starting issues, but you will need a pyro first, and if it turns out that your pump needs to be gone through I’d be happy to rebuild it for you:)

Alwaysreadyrob and David Johnson like this.
  8. Josh Oldenburg

Josh Oldenburg Full Access Member

9. David Johnson

The water trick didnt work. Its kind of odd. Yesterday i ran the truck for approx 1 hour. Shut it off. Restarted after 10 seconds no problem. 10 mins later it would not start. How much for a rebuild and where are you located.

[QUOTE="Thewespaul I’d be happy to rebuild it for you:)[/QUOTE]

10. IDIoit

IDIoit MachinistFabricator Supporting Member

the VERY first thing I would do is to see if you have 12V going to your FSS on the injection pump during the no start condition

11. Dirtleg

Dirtleg Full Access Member

The water trick never worked for me. I had the same issue. It was a worn IP.

The reason it will restart right away but not after it's sat for 10 minutes is that the IP heat soaks more after you shut the truck off than when running due to the fuel not flowing through it anymore. Once it's been sitting a bit it is fully heat soaked but not so much after initial shutdown.

It's always recommended to replace IP and injectors at the same time and I would if you can afford it. If not I've done just the IP and gotten by but it ran much better once I got injectors as well.

12. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Since the water didn’t affect it you could check to see if the pump had power, you just disconnect the front wire connector on the pump, and with the key on you will here a click as connect it back up. I’d still lean towards a tired ip being your cause. My are typically between $750-900 depending on condition of the core and what modifications you want made to it, if any. I’m located just north of San Antonio, TX.

13. Alwaysreadyrob

Alwaysreadyrob 1994 7.3 STOCK GARRETT TURBO IDI

The water trick worked for me but what works better is new injectors and having Wes rebuild your IP !

IDIBRONCO and Thewespaul like this.