92 7.3 idi need some tips try to read as much as possible

obs_lyf

Reaction score
igot a 92 7.3 idi with 112,000 on it and i recently bought a 94 factory turboed truck and i would like to swap the turbo stuff to my truck do the exhaust manifolds and intake manifold need to be changed or are they the same. not trying to break out the tap/dye set. any info is helpful thanks in advance.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhaust and intake manifolds are the same.

You will have to bolt the "intake snail" up to the factory intake manifold, and remove the y pipe from the exhaust and bolt up the crossover and up pipe to the turbo in its place.

Glow plug controller and CDR valve will be relocated during the swap. Valve covers will be swapped over to provide new mounting locations for these items.

Should be real easy to place them side by side and change everything over.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not install the 94 turbo engine in the other truck? Every idi diesel engine is drilled and threaded the same. So any 6.9 or 7.3 engine will fit the other rig. As for swapping parts like you mentioned.. Nope. They are still all the same parts from the first early 6.9 to the last turbo 7.3 idi. Every internal part is the same except the turbo rods are different but. The still fit the 6.9 or 7.3 cranks in every idi engine although the wrist pin is a larger size. You can use a turbo rod in a 6.9 engine but will need custom built pistons. Really the only manifold differences come in the truck or van applications. The van or truck drivers side exhaust manifold is different as is the oil cooler front and back header manifolds between the van and truck applications.

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done with this same project. After seeing the 94 engine, you should have a great map to start with instead of going in cold like I did. I had to relocate the GP controller, I heat wrapped and secured part of the GP harness and one or 2 fuel return lines to get them off of the turbo. I went with a 3" DP so I did have to clearance the firewall a bit. The whole project took me about 10x longer than I expected, mostly because I was going off of pictures from the internet that never seemed to show what I was having trouble with; it was a learning expierence.

For me, the hardest part was the up-pipe. It was in one piece when I got it so I assumed it could be installed in one piece. I did have to split it at the joint and install it in two pieces. So far, no leaks. Fingers crossed. Do yourself a favor and address any injector return line/glowplug/injector issues on that rear passenger side cylinder before mounting the turbo. Once that guy is mounted, it gets tight back there and installation/removal is not much fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online