91 to 94 water pump?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Will a water pump from a 91 work on a 94? Will the pulleys interchange?
I bought a 94 CC turbo and am planning on maybe fixing it, when trying to start it the pump started leaking.
I have another sitting on a spare 91 engine and thought that might be the way to go. I want to make sure that it will be worth it before buying new parts.
The po told me he parked it for oil usage and I want to get it running to see for myself.
It has been sitting for two years so it needs some work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Any year water pump will fit any idi engine.... 6.9 or 7.3... It dosn't matter. Now international dump trucks have a differant pump on them with a bolt on fan flange... But they will bolt on to our engines... You just wont be able to install our clutch fan because there isn't the large left hand screw threads...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Hmmm. Bolt on fan? I wonder if there is one that would work in the space we have under the hood? I like that idea better than the screw on we have. I know it works but why not improve if we can? Thanks for the reply fixall.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
actually the water pumps will bolt up but, does the 94 have a serpentine belt ? if it does it is reverse rotation, as well as the fan and clutch and will not flow correctly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Biggin92..... All idi acessarys turn the same direction .. It does not matter if its V belts or serpentine belts. The psd fans turn the oppsite direction to ours... Thats why we can't use there fans.... Who told you the serpentine belts engines turned the waterpumps the oppsite direction on the idi engines... Just wondering where some of this misinformation comes from....

Last edited:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Gary, I think that people think the serpentine pump goes opposite because on a lot of the ford gas engines they did that.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
most all serp belt water pumps turn reverse rotation, they drive from the smooth side of the belt.
the IDI is an exception from that, they drive off of the rbeed side, therefore they are standard rotation.