91 dodge, not charging

MAvTistic

Reaction score
truck not charging, replaced battery end of last week since it left me sit, bat was 3 years old, new battery everything seemed fine, saturday tried to start and just turned over enough to start, stopped at advanced autp and the tested alternator on the truck, computer said 10.5 volts, great bad alt, got home pulled alternator off and took in and tested on the bench and nothing. bought new alt. got on truck and still no charge?

what to look at next?

thanks

MArk

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't know how different your 91 is from my 95 but mine has a fuse for the alt to battery connection. Might be worth a look see.

FordCummins

Reaction score
The ole mans 92 just did this but the alt was tested good and still no charge. Ended up being the Engine Speed Sensor not telling the PCM that it was running and therefore...no charge to the battery. Not sure if this pertains to the 91's or not.

MAvTistic

Reaction score
thanks for the help, ended up taking it to the speed shop that I usually get all my parts from but since this happened on a sunday I went to advance auto to get replacement alt.

today the speed shop got me in right away and after looking at it they told me the alt was bad, so back home removed alt and went back to advance auto, they bench tested it and it was fine, so back home put alt back on truck and speed shop called me and the mechanic wanted to take another peak at it.

I guess on 91 they had a early and late model for that year the previuos owner did something to the ecm to bypass it and use a internal regulator alt. mechanic said the wire harness had been altered so they changed it back and the external voltage regulator fif not work, replaced that and all good now???? I hate electrical stuff so all I know is its chargin now....... what a expensive week.
battery, alt, voltage reg. oh yea and the tensioner went bad also, and took out the belt and fan..........