900 mile trip on WMO

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend I'm going down to Tenn. to get a 5th wheel and bring it back home. I plan to do this all on WMO. It's a 35ft, 10k pound trailer. Pulling the mountians on 75 makes me nervious with that much weight and no turbo,:eek: so I was thinking about bypassing the interstate with state routes in these areas. Whatcha guys think? Am I gonna have trouble with the WMO? I've pulled 7k in the past on FLAT ground and had no issues.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a round trip of 600 miles in the summer and had no issues at all with WMO. Are you running 100% or mix? I ran 100% and the only issue I had was with the stacks and the back window open. The smell of that oil is just not the same as diesel. :puke: Other than that if is not real cold I say go for it.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Dood, use the interstate. Backroads tend to be steeper, more curvy and less friendly to bigger vehicles. I am usually a advocate of backroads but after my trip last Sunday I would not go backroads again, especially loaded.

Yeah, you'll go slow on the interstate but if you go backroads idiots are gonna tailgate you and try to pass on stupid spots and make you nervous trying to avoid an accident because of their stupidity!

If you cant tell I had a few bad instances last Sunday on hilly backroads.....

Thad

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point about the back roads. See the problem is that I'm concerned about high egt's, I've heard that on 100%, egt's are alot higher. I'd hate to get to the top of Jelico with a burnt down truck, you know?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The load inm y avtar was hauled with a N/A IDI right across PA no real problems just don't figure to break any land speed records.Keep your foot out of it if your afraid of high EGTs -a pyrometer would seem like a must in yoiur situation to me.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I used the truck in my sig to pull a Toyota pickup on a carhauler (not too heavy) through a local canyon. It did decent untill I hit the 6% for 5 miles... In my situation I wished that I DIDN"T have a Pyro! :rotflmao It was scarry LOL

All joking aside I'd seriously get a pyrometer--cheap insurance IMHO. As for the truck I'm not sure you can really over work these engines if all your tempuratures are within reason ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
weird my EGT's are about the same with WMO. have you checked the timing lately? just let up in the slow lane if it gets to hot. its better to let it cool some than burn up a motor far away from home.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the issue becomes "what is it?" Waste motor oil could be anything from 5w-15 motor oil to 80-90wt hypoid gear oil, to Jet-A, to Kero, to hydraulic fluid, to ATF, to whatever kind of junk you put in it. My WMO is not the same as your WMO, and so on. Heck, my WMO this month isn't the same as my WMO next month. :dunno You can't compare one truck running on WMO directly with another unless they both filled their tanks from the same source, especially when you're comparing EGT's. Unlike regular fuel which is highly regulated and highly standardized, WMO is basically a home brewed fuel, with as many different flavors as there is beer brewers and the products they produce. The ratio of your WMO to diesel is certainly a factor, and yes I'm sure some kinds of waste oils burn hotter than others, but I don't know how they would rank or stack up.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with above.. I have has some instances that I had more tranny fluid in the oil and my pyro seemed to rise faster on hills.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
When I pulled the 8,000lb trailer 1100 miles and back there where times when I pulled off the road to let her cool down a bit 230'F coolant temp was common, and I'd pull over and let'er idel down to 180'f then take off again . You definitely need a pyro...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online