'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get them new from ford actually. Ordered one from tasca ford last night.

[emoji6]

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I bought it off of eBay but you can get them from Ford. Had to build a mount for it but it worked out great.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress... Had the day free so decided to modify my bed tank and I had been planning to do...

Someone at some point had tried to install a barrel bung to the tank and they didn't seal it up very well. Its leaked a bit since I put it on the truck so I decided to delete it...

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I said screw it and not only deleted the bung.. but relocated the fill neck to inside the tool box area so now the lock has to be cut to tamper with it (whether it be dipping or siphoning...)

Then I pulled a sending unit from a fuel cell I had laying around...

Box back in place...

New gauge mounted in the overhead console...

Plans are to run a 3 way switch (on-off-on) to the gauge. I'm getting ready to pull the sender from the front tank and graft a universal 0-90ohm gm sender to the pick-up. I didnt have room to install 4 autometer 2-1/16 gauges in the stock cluster so with moving the fuel gauge up to the overhead unit, I can fit 3 gauges in the stock cluster (Oil pressure, Water temp, and Voltmeter all autometer)

Its getting there slowly but surely. New gauges will be in this week so hopefully I can get the cluster cut down and done soon.

More to come.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So started on this....

Started gutting it...

Cut to fit...

Tight fit...

Not a fan that the black doesn't match... maybe I'm a bit OCD...

Anyways... mechanical oil pressure, water temp, and volt meter will fill the stock cluster.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is THE first change-over that I like! Way to go there AcIdBuRn02ZTS!

Dave :thumbsup:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it all but done... its pretty well ready to install.

Couldn't stand the color difference... so after fitting all 3 gauges, I plasti-dipped that side of the cluster...

Trimmed the dip off the gauge faces and re-fit the glass after cleaning... matches much nicer now. I may have to paint the needles on the speedo and tach... maybe that's too ocd.. lol

Not for the faint of heart... lots of cutting and trimming of the printed circuit. Going to have to get creative with the warning lights on the left side of the cluster.. will most likely hardwire them.

Going to install in the AM hopefully.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done and everything is working...

I had to add a bulb and hardwire the alternator charge indicator as I quickly discovered that the alternator wont charge without it. Lol... But thats fixed.

Also got a tach sender on the way as mine is (obviously) toast. Hopefully the tach still works... we'll see soon.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... had a fun day yesterday as I got to learn how to install a windshield.

Called a shop to have them come out and put one in while I was at work. They showed up and cut out my old glass no issue but they found some surface rust on the pinch weld and said they couldnt install the new glass. I ended up buying the glass off of them but I was stuck at work with a truck without a windshield.

So come break time, we cleaned up the rust and glued the new glass in with 3m windo-weld. Went a lot smoother then I thought it would. Only took 15 minutes to reinstall.

Anyways... here are some after shots once I got home.

Old glass.. trim was the only thing holding it in. No wonder why it leaked... lol

New glass in and trim back in place.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got everything ordered to bolt on the 093 "muffler". Also scored a complete devils own water **** system for $100.

I'll definitely be taking advantage of the upcoming long weekend.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Muffler" is installed and all went smoothly... until my undersized RDT caused the front seal to let loose.

Anyways... here are the progress pictures. Ran out of solid wire and had to switch over to flux core (which I despise..) so some of the welds are not pretty. Truck runs pretty decent.. driveability is greatly improved.

And the problem child... I thought a 5/8" grommet/pvc 90 through the valve cover would be enough...

And apparently I was wrong....

Lost the front main (it had been leaking for a while and I assume it was the weakest link). So.. New national front crank seal is on the way along with the proper speedi sleeve for the balancer. I also ordered one of the Banks crank case vent adapters for the timing cover. Going to run that along with the 5/8" hose from the valve cover both back to the intake.

We'll see what happens. Also have a new tensioner, idler, and belt on the way.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Wow, I am surprised 5/8 was not enough. My dt360 looks like it vents from the factory with a 1 inch line.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think about it, the stock CDR valve is approx. 1" too. I should have thought about it.

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while. Truck has been parked over the winter due to the rear drive shaft needing rebuilt and a coolant leak from my 4 core champion radiator (they shipped me a new one no questions asked). Being a '90, the truck also has the short shank pinion which I noticed had some play the last time I was under the truck...

With that said, a buddy of mine had a 4.10 rear from a '94 sitting in his way so I picked it up from him..

Just ordered all new brakes (drums, shoes, hardware, adjusters, DRW wheel cylinders all raybestos pro), timken inner and outer bearings and scottseal xl plus hub seals.

Going to get it in the garage this week... tear it apart and get it prepped/painted. Once I get the truck in the garage (waiting for another friend to get his jeep project I've been storing for him out of my way).. I'll have the rear driveshaft rebuilt too.

Plans as of now are to work back to front slowly going through each system. The truck has been rock solid reliable.. now I want to show it some appreciation and get it back up to it's "glory days" so to speak.

Debating on if I should go on and pull the cracked trans while I'm at it and swap it for the one I have sitting there... just really don't want to mess with it. Lol

Anyways... much more to come as the proper rebuild starts. I want to keep it drivable throughout the process.. so we'll see what happens.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts piling up...

Hope to tear it down this weekend... we'll see. Don't have a lot of free time right now. Still need to order e-brake cables, u-bolts, spring bushings, and one spring hanger.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight