89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money, I haven't been keeping track. I know it's going to be a lot. Believe it or not most things have been pretty cheap, but I've been putting a lot of labor into things. Minus purchase price, transmission rebuild, Drop in engine, dana 60 axle, and the US gear which were all done about 12-14 years ago I think I'll have atleast 10K in this build.

$700 - Ranchhand front end and full length running boards
$2,000 - paint & primers to get it into color. Also any black that I used on the axles and radiator support.
$800 - Powdercoat. Frame, springs, brake backers, all loose suspension brackets
$700 - Lizard skin sound deadening and control
$1,000 - Misc seals, gaskets, lift pump, U-joints, etc for the engine, transmission, transfercase & axles.
$400 - Stainless metal brake lines and stainless flex lines. I also bought a used hydroboost.
$400 - Glass windshield, side door glasses used rear window. Rear doors I did not replace glass in.
$500 - front clip upgrade. although i traded some ford explorer parts for the hood and fenders so I didn't buy them.
$1,000 - Turbo. I had my 093 ATS turbo rebuilt before putting it on. That price also includes the turbo purchase price.
$300 - 97 crewcab seats that need recovering and tan seat belts.
$900 - Leather to recover the seats.
$250 - Driveshaft modifications for the NP205 I put in.
This comes up to about $9,000 if I did my math right.

And that's the stuff I remember. I also have a lot left to do. I need to finish out the interior with carpet and headliner. I also need to get a new radiator and other misc. stuff in the engine compartment. Not to mention I'm sure there are a lot of little things I'll still need to buy.

I'm anxious to get the bumper on the truck and see how it looks. I bought it knowing it could get interesting, but the price was right and my front frame is custom anyway since I put 99 up superduty springs in and they are longer so I had to extend my frame slightly. So no matter what I did for a bumper I was going to be custom mounting it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money, I haven't been keeping track. I know it's going to be a lot. Believe it or not most things have been pretty cheap, but I've been putting a lot of labor into things. Minus purchase price, transmission rebuild, Drop in engine, dana 60 axle, and the US gear which were all done about 12-14 years ago I think I'll have atleast 10K in this build.

$700 - Ranchhand front end and full length running boards
$2,000 - paint & primers to get it into color. Also any black that I used on the axles and radiator support.
$800 - Powdercoat. Frame, springs, brake backers, all loose suspension brackets
$700 - Lizard skin sound deadening and control
$1,000 - Misc seals, gaskets, lift pump, U-joints, etc for the engine, transmission, transfercase & axles.
$400 - Stainless metal brake lines and stainless flex lines. I also bought a used hydroboost.
$400 - Glass windshield, side door glasses used rear window. Rear doors I did not replace glass in.
$500 - front clip upgrade. although i traded some ford explorer parts for the hood and fenders so I didn't buy them.
$1,000 - Turbo. I had my 093 ATS turbo rebuilt before putting it on. That price also includes the turbo purchase price.
$300 - 97 crewcab seats that need recovering and tan seat belts.
$900 - Leather to recover the seats.
$250 - Driveshaft modifications for the NP205 I put in.
This comes up to about $9,000 if I did my math right.

And that's the stuff I remember. I also have a lot left to do. I need to finish out the interior with carpet and headliner. I also need to get a new radiator and other misc. stuff in the engine compartment. Not to mention I'm sure there are a lot of little things I'll still need to buy.

I'm anxious to get the bumper on the truck and see how it looks. I bought it knowing it could get interesting, but the price was right and my front frame is custom anyway since I put 99 up superduty springs in and they are longer so I had to extend my frame slightly. So no matter what I did for a bumper I was going to be custom mounting it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

yeah, i don't feel so bad about the 7.5k i'll have in mine when i'm done.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the cost deal if I looked at it as whats the truck worth it doesn't pan out. But if the truck is comfortable and serves it purpose for me it's way cheaper than a newer truck. And when I'm done my truck should be in great shape. It should look sharp, have no rust, be mechanically sound, etc. I plan to get it appraised for insurance so that I could get it insured for more than the book value of an 89 ford truck.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some fitting on the ranch hand front end tonight. For it being for a 99 it fit really nice. I plasma cut out some of the mounting brackets below. Then I removed some top pieces that stood straight up on the top of the bumper. Once I had those cleared out I could test fit it on the truck. I need to do some more trimming to get it to sit back on the truck better and it needs to sit higher, but overall it's going to work just fine. I think about 2" back once I do some more trimming and about 3/4" higher it should fit much better. I'm contemplating even more trimming to get it to sit back even further, but not sure. I'll probably trim a little them test fit again then trim more if needed.

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did a little priming tonight. Got the fenders, hood and filler panel under the lights all in primer. Should get them all blocked out Thursday night then get them painted this weekend. I also did some work on the wiring under the hood. I know where every plug goes but one! Lots to do, but I keep plugging along.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
That bumper is huge looks good i think the further you get it tucked in the better it will look you cant really tell its for a 99

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. They are appreciated.

I did some painting. It went OK. Too many runs for my liking, but no major screw ups. I do need to reshoot the hood as I have a light spot in it. Major screw ups to me are the primer didn't setup right, the body work is showing through, something fell, etc. Most of these I've learned through personal experience.

Also here are some pictures of the bumper final fitted. I really need to work on my picture taking abilities. Somehow they are always fuzzy?:dunno:dunno

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Nice build. I would love to be able to do something like this to my truck. Just dont have the space right now. Keep up the great work!!

John

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the comments. I really appreciate it. I sometimes wish I hadn't torn it apart so far because I could actually be driving it, but O'well it's done now.

I'm thinking about a set of street flares for it. Much like the newer trucks. I would paint them the tan color of the two-tone. Bushwacker makes a low profile street flare that I think would work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Bushwacker-Body-Gear/148/20501-02/10002/-1

That way I can have the wheel openings look like this.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you should do the flares. the next step will the 05+ axles swap so you can run king ranch wheels

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep eyeballing the 18" or 20" king ranch wheels. I'd probably run a wheel adapter on them. I haven't ruled them out yet. If I do run the factory size tire though then I'd have two trucks and a trailer all running the same size tires that are pretty inexpensive. 20" idea start getting expensive.