89 7.3 idi wont start

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still needs glow plugs. At least mine does.

"It still clicks" What does that mean? Did you test the glow plugs themselves?

Tim.

beaverthehut

Reaction score
I think I may have found the problem
I hope...the lift pump was bad so they put an inline electric pump on it and when it turns off I believe it is bleeding down and letting air into the system because when u unplug it and then plug it back in air will be in the filter as far as the glow plugs I plan on replacing them and I only have a couple more ? How do u wire the glow plug controller so u can manually run the glow plugs and when adjusting the screw on the injection pump is in more fuel or out more fuel? Thanks
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

beaverthehut

Reaction score
Whenever u turn the key on it waits a few seconds and then the glow plug controller clicks

beaverthehut

Reaction score
Ok I've put an electric fuel pump on it a carter and bled all the lines once again and wired the glow plugs to be used manually and still nothing it acts like its gonna start but never takes off I just don't know what else it could be also done a compression test and it was fine

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you verified you are getting power to the glow plugs when you push the button? Are the glow plugs themselves good?

beaverthehut

Reaction score
That I couldn't tell u I don't have an ohm meter to check them and that's the only way I've read u can check them

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull start it again and let it warm up for a few minutes to where you know you dont need glow plugs and then shut it off and try to restart. Your either getting a lot of air in the lines somewhere, or worse, your injection pump is shot.

beaverthehut

Reaction score
Yes as long as it don't sit for more than 10 minutes after being pull started it will start....it has new fuel line on everything and I have double and triple checked the hoses and clamps...

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can test glow plugs with a simple test light. Doesn't tell you everything but tells you if they are completely gone or not.

Does the block heater work? You can use that to rule out GPs, too.

Tim.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
use a normal test light, clamp the wire off of the top to the positive terminal of the battery. disconnect the wires going to the glow plugs and touch the tip to the top of the plug. if the light comes on then plug is good, if not it is bad, clean all connections and use electrical grease sparingly on each connection. A bad connection will cause the same symptoms as bad glow plugs, sounds to me like you have bad glow plugs. if you have the electric pump mounted in line with the mechanical pump that could also cause problems later down the road so I would mount the electric pump on the frame rail after the fsv and use relays to trigger it on or use the mechanical pump, but not both

beaverthehut

Reaction score
Ok so I got new glow plugs and installed them got a new glow plug controller installed and still no start..check the glow plugs to make sure they are working and they are and then the wires from the glow plug controller started smoking...idk what is wrong i installed everything the same way it was and still can't get it to start and now the wires are smoking? Bout to just sell the darn thing

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you replaces the fuel filter? I was having issues starting. I had fuel at the filter head, but still wouldn't start. Pulled the filter and it was only half full. Replaced the filter and now it fires off immediately. I think mine was dirty enough that most of the fuel was flowing back via the return lines instead of filling the fuel filter. Just a thought.