89 7.3 IDI is Loud

tibbidoh

Reaction score
My 89 7.3 is defining when cold and still loud when warmed up, it seems that trucks only a few years younger are much quieter. Is it the mechanical injection that is making all the clatter?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Does it burn a lot of oil? If so, you might consider putting some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It will REALLY quiet down the engine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 7.3 is defining when cold and still loud when warmed up, it seems that trucks only a few years younger are much quieter. Is it the mechanical injection that is making all the clatter?
That's a lot of it. You have a old school diesel. Noisy and not much power. But very simple and reliable. You have to get way up in the later years before they really quiet down. The 09 6.4 I drive at work is quieter than my 89, but the 6.7 diesels we have at work are really quiet.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You have a old school diesel. Noisy and not much power. But very simple and reliable.

A guy in AZ who runs an RV parts shop told me he had 2 IDIs years ago and they both blew the engines fast for no good reason. Pretty sure he got them used, so maybe he had bad luck with cavitation or oil coolers going bad. Due to those experiences, has is under the impression that they are very unreliable and **** up randomly without warning, and said "good luck" to me in regards to owning IDIs.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto,

1) Make sure your cold IP advance is not getting power once warmed up, if so likely your temp sensor is bad.

2) Ditto on check your IP timing.

These trucks are old school diesels and fairly loud. But clatter and make more noise when the IP advance is on. The temp sensor is supposed to shut it off when warm.

Let us know what you find.

tibbidoh

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, no there is a big drop in decibels when the cold start is off and I think IP Timing is working fine. Just didn't know if maybe there was like an intake manifold w/ baffles or something that I could bolt on and make the engine a little less noisy.
As far as power goes, this old truck will get me to 70 pretty quick and that is plenty for me and is geared so low that everything pulled so far has been "piece of pie".
And the durability of the engine seems to be great, had it parked on an odd incline and somehow rainwater traced it way through the intake into the cylinders of course hydro locking the engine. Pulled the glow plugs, thought I had stepped back far enough w/ my remote starter button spun the engine (absolutely soaked me), replaced the glow plugs, then it sputtered a bit but fired right up and no issues since. It is just old school almost no electronics and seems to be very reliable.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Blackdawg says, the timing is too advanced. Mine was noisy as hell, ran great. But once I picked up a timing meter and dialed it in it got real quiet. I had to retard the timing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modifying the stock aircleaner by cutting the soup bowl out, does make them a lot noisier also. I have another unmodified air cleaner I am going to start using. Without the soup bowl it makes a loud droning noise at speed from the intake area.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Also there should be a baffle/air tube from the air cleaner to the front of the hood. That does help with cabin noise if yours is missing.