'89 7.3 f250 4x4 5 speed regular cab heavy duty?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the truck in the title. I didn't know how to tell apart the rear and front axles to determine identity mainly because I didn't realize there were so many possibilities. The rear looked the same as mine, but front was definitely one of the TTB's. The seller said it has a TTB front which I gather could be a D44 or D50. Also, I asked him to get me the GVWR from the door or title and he said it was the 8600. I have been researching this all morning finding all kinds of conflicting info. I guess I'm just trying to nail down it's ability to load and tow. There will be no d60 swaps in the near future unless it is free so I need this truck to be good as is or I will move on. Any links / opinions are welcome.

This truck will be plowing snow for the remainder of the winter and then hauling a trailer with varying loads the rest of the year.

Also, can someone definitively tell me if the frame ends up front are different from the early 90's models? Can't seem to nail down definite yes or no here either and I want to swap a Meyers EZ classic from my sig truck to this one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frame horns are not the same,
they changed in 91 or 92.
search the tech articles.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, my bad. I was not using the right search criteria. This has been argued a lot but I finally found some valuable, indisputable indications at the FTE site.

I still have questions regarding the frame ends for plow mounting though so anyone with info can chime in whenever. Thanks!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
frame horns are not the same,
they changed in 91 or 92.
search the tech articles.

That info is in there? My fault. Thanks! Oh, okay. I was not using the proper search words.

Last edited:

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A heavy duty will have hubs on the rear that protrude from the center of the wheel about three inches, where a light duty they will be flush with the surface of the wheel.

Not sure if it helps, but I'm given to understand a Dana 50 is a Dana 44 center with Dana 60 hubs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what the truck in you title should look like. note how high it sits. and that's OEM.
the D44 is a ifs and uses the small lockouts. the D60 is a solid front and uses the large lockouts.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 19

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the front end of a F250 with ifs.

Attachments

• P1000333.jpg
    P1000333.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 18
  • SANY0192.jpg
    SANY0192.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 13

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I still have questions regarding the frame ends for plow mounting though so anyone with info can chime in whenever. Thanks![/QUOTE
What brand plow are you mounting? What year did it come off of?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you know the model number of your plow frame, you can look it up and see if it will fit the later model. I do know some of the plow frames WILL NOT fit a diesel engined truck. The radiator support hangs down too low on a diesel and the plow frame won't fit.

All diesel equipped trucks were HD. As was said before, the rear axle will have those ********* things sticking out of the center of the rim in the back on a HD.

Standard cab f250's will have the dana 44 ttbHD frontend. There are rumors that some f250 regular cabs were ordered with a dana 50 from the factory, but I have seen little proof of that.

Extended cab f250's will have the dana 50 ttb as standard on the front.

F350's of all flavors will have the dana 50 ttb up front till about 1985 1/2. Sometime around there they changed it and all f350's got the dana 60 solid axle up front.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Standard cab f250's will have the dana 44 ttbHD frontend. There are rumors that some f250 regular cabs were ordered with a dana 50 from the factory, but I have seen little proof of that.

I had a 1988 gas motor 250hd reg cab and it had large hubs so I am assuming it was a dana50 unless they made 44's with large hubs. It had the 4600 lb front axle. Its laying in the weeds at my buddies farm. I will take a picture next time I go there of the hubs. Here is the door sticker on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 73

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F250's after 87 had Dana 50 TTB.

Earlier models have 44hd TTB. F150 44 TTB parts won't swap over except for the carrier gear set.

My bronco with 35's and 350-400hp does a lot of truck pulling with 44hd hubs, half ton axles and a 50 carrier. Never broke anything on the front end but split 3 or 4 yokes in the stealing rear

I feel you'll be fine plowing for a couple months with a 250. I see a lot of f-150s and rangers plowing year after year so you should be fine until your trucks up and running again.

As for the gvw, my 86 f250 is registered at class 3 where in reality the factory rating is class 2.

You can legally keep bumping up your state registration here in pa, just can't go back down. They just want your money.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had a 1988 gas motor 250hd reg cab and it had large hubs so I am assuming it was a dana50 unless they made 44's with large hubs. It had the 4600 lb front axle. Its laying in the weeds at my buddies farm. I will take a picture next time I go there of the hubs. Here is the door sticker on it.

Aha! There we go. Vin says "F26" which is a f250 standard cab 4x4. And 4600lbs is the heavier dana 50 ttb axle. Thanks for that picture.

attachment.php

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks guys. Listen, I have done HOURS of research on the front rear axle / GVWR / HD vs LD, etc, etc and I can tell all of you this for sure: There are many combinations of axles and GVWR that were possible and there seemed to be any combination that could have been ordered direct from the factory which would muddy the water even more.

I have read so many threads in the last few days regarding the HD vs LD vs TTB vs D60 vs Sterling vs etc etc etc and for every guy that said "They only made the 89 in this, this, and this" there are two or three that say "I have one sitting in my yard that is not that it's this"

It is all my fault. I should have titled the thread differently. Like I stated, I was just making sure it was the setup I expected and not an f150 with different emblemsLOL Thanks for all your help!