88 International S1600 replacement parts

TD or Not TD

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post here. I recently purchased an old medium duty dump truck and i am having a very hard time finding a place online to purchase replacement parts for this truck. I bought it to start a towing business (dump box has been replaced with a rollback flatbed) but need to make sure the truck is 100% before i start. I have found a few replacement parts through rockauto.com and that was helpful but if anyone has good advice on other places that offer a wider range of parts(such as clutch setup, transmission seals, leaf springs, filters, etc) that would help me out greatly. A little information about the truck. It is an 88 "S1600" or so that what the label shows. The tag on the door states it is a 1654. Transmission is a Spicer 4054D.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Right now i am looking for a clutch kit for the truck.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just buy parts through an International dealer... Not worth the trouble trying to buy heavy truck parts online.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. Take them to a truck shop or navistar dealer for best results. Lots of small variations from truck to truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As posted. It will be simpler to shop parts thru the navistar international dealer. Most chain auto parts stores will have none of the bigger parts like clutches or water pumps. your water pump has a flange end shaft compared to our pickup truck threaded ends. You fan clutch is also got a flange connection. Any idi water pump will bolt up to your engine but the fan clutch from the pickup trucks wont. Your engine internals are the same as ours. When you see a dealer like I have suggested they will ask for the truck VIN number. Reasons for this number request is they look up your particular truck to see what part you need. They have tried this VIN number on me several times. I explain I have an f350 Ford rig. Not an international rig. Some even try telling me they have no parts for my f350. Its really easy to prove them wrong..

TD or Not TD

Reaction score
I have went through the local dealers and they have asked me for my VIN when i ordered the filters. The local store is not open on weekends and that's really the only free time i have. I wasn't sure if there was a place online to enter the VIN and look through parts there. I am honestly having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of truck it is. Like i said it is badged S1600 and 1654 is on the door sticker but whenever i look up information on these trucks i show a larger truck with air brakes and a turbo 7.3. But now i realize there are so many variations of these trucks that ill just have to go to the dealers for everything.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the medium and heavy truck world. you need to have three companies on your speeddial for your area.
1) your nearest competent IH dealer. find the old guy in the parts dept. he'll be your best resource. ask for info and more importantly, buy from him. the more you spend the more he'll help in the long run. if all you do is milk for info and not spend, he'll go stupid on you quick.
2) you local Napa/Traction parts dealer. Traction is the HD truck side of the business. Does a good job of filtering out the light-duty BS.
3) if Lynch equipment is near you, they are a excellent source for towtruck parts.
good luck. if you are going to own old equipment, your money will be best spent with the parts guys who are old and make Clint Eastwood's conversation with his barber in "Gran Torino" look like church talk.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, and as you are finding the VIN on the IH (Navistar) stuff is very important. I remember a joke from back in the day (and you find it is more true than a joke) that was more directed at the IH Light Line Trucks (Scout, Travelall, Travelette, and Pickups up to their discontinuation in ~1980) was that IH never built 2 trucks alike. You could have a "lot" of trucks spec'ed for 1 order, such as an order by the State of Illinois for, 500 trucks, no two of those trucks would be exactly alike. There would be a slight variation in all of them. They really do need to know the VIN so they can look back at the build sheet for that exact truck to see how it was specifically built.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are in NY.but youre close to MA. we have a few truck places here.could see if you have a "fleetpride" out there.

Like towcat says your only route for parts is the dealer and napa.napa believe it or not can get alot of stuff for bigger trucks.we use them for parts on the chevy 6500 2 car carrier.

TD or Not TD

Reaction score
Most of the Napa stores around here have shut down, i believe 3 total in a 30 mile radius closed. I found a local international dealer and they seemed to be pretty helpful!

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the Napa stores around here have shut down, i believe 3 total in a 30 mile radius closed. I found a local international dealer and they seemed to be pretty helpful!

The oldest guy at the parts counter is the one you want to talk to...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
There is a guy at the Mccandless International parts desk here (forgot) his name that you swore asking about a 6.9 was time traveling for him. Maybe he can help if your dealer doesn't have a part

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online