88 f250 7.3 idi really hard start

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Fuel heater doesn't exactly work like that.
While a real heater would be nice, the factory ones are junk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F2TZ-9J294-A / F2TZ9J294A / 9J294 here's the part numbers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tom1801

Reaction score
I ordered the parts last night. .. this morning I let her warm up for 15-20min them about 5min into driving to work she stalled when I put it in neutral but fired right back up when i turned the key then a Lil bit later also when I put it in neutral the motor was surging/hunting not like it wanted to die though any thoughts, ip goin bad? Or could this all lead back to the leaking connector on the wfs?

Last edited:

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much diesel you have in your tank? The tank has a sending with a pre-screen anything under 3/8 of a tank and some moving could cause the hunting or die.

I forgot to tell you this find some clear 3/8 line and some connector that fit the your lines and see if you have bubbles. You have to reprime the system and let it run for a bit somewhere 3 to 5 mins.

https://youtu.be/YJgbvwIuJjQ

Need to make sure first that you are not getting air in the system before you get the injector pump.

It drove me crazy trying to find it I still had the problem but it was random one day I could start and go np. Other days she did want to start and hunting. Till I was under the hood running I smelled diesel. I figured you would smell the exhaust not so much diesel fuel. I start going every line seen the injector pump was leaking from the wfs to the pump line. The rubber o-ring was bad from age.

The only cool thing of getting air in your lines when it's very little will give more power and better mpg but could hurt you injector pump.

The injector pump cools by diesel fuel.

Tom1801

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel filter and that o ring nothing leaks now drive fine and started great past two days then today it started fine and while driving I threw it in neutral and the rpms drop all the way and stalled does it every time I throw it in neutral after accelerating a Lil bit also when I Rev it up at a stand still it stalls when the rpms drop, the lift pump and injectors where replaced the only thing that wasn't was the injection pump would that be it

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...The only cool thing of getting air in your lines when it's very little will give more power and better mpg but could hurt you injector pump.

This. The other night, I forgot my tank level was near 1/4, and after making a left turn, my truck took off and then starting running rough. I then remembered I needed to switch the tank selector valve to the full rear tank.

I did have some hard starting recently, and found my fuel heater was leaking. I replaced the o-ring, and it seemed to run smoother as well as start easier.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say if it's your pump. Could be a few things like loosen in the column or cable. Havent ran into this problem yet hopefully another guy has. Unless you have a stick on the column problem