88 f250 7.3 idi really hard start

Tom1801

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 88 f250 7.3 idi it was having some trouble starting when it was cold so I tested all the glow plugs found a bad one and replaced all of them.
When I went to start it, it took a lot longer to start then before and when it did (after holding my foot on the peddle) it would want to stall out immediately.
So I tested the relay and found it was putting out 8-9v to the glow plugs and I read it should be 12 volts
I'm Goin to replace that tonight
But when I jumped the relay out so I can get home from my buddy's house (2 min away) it started right up and idled great after letting it warm up I started driving and at the first stop sign it stalls, then it was hard to start again
Could the bad relay cause it to stall and run rough? Or am I looking at somthing else causing this
I forgot to mention two of my injectors are leaking, I'm waiting for new one to come in but it was running fine when warmed up before I did the glow plugs.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glow plugs and relay are there to get it to start.
I would advise replacing the lift pump.
and when you do the injectors a return line kit is a must.
then if it still hard starts, its an air intrusion issue.
check all rubber and nylon lines

Tom1801

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply I order the return line kit with injectors and what puzzles me is why It was stalling and running rough after i put glow plugs
Worse then before

Tom1801

Reaction score
Should I replace the injection pump when I do the injectors, someone was telling me that I should is that a must?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is generally a good idea to replace the injector pump and injectors at the same time. At the very least, all the injectors should be replaced at the same time or at least ensured they all fire at the same PSI and evenly (no dribblers)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say you "recently picked up" this truck. How recently? Did it sit, unused, for a long time before you bought it? Definitely sounds like your pump is gummed up. I would run some heavy doses of Stanadyne Performance Formula for a few tank fulls. Once the engine fires, the glow plugs are out of the picture, so no, they will not cause a rough running beyond the first 10 seconds or so. A non-functional glow plug can contribute to a miss and a lot of smoke on first start, but that dead cylinder would clean itself up shortly after it is running. If you have not replaced your fuel filter, do so right away, and look in the old filter and see if you have any alga in there. It will look like black crud.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got mine changed glow plugs and relay setup then still had a long start. I was getting air in the lines. So I bought the kit. Still same problem so I got more hose to replace all the lines fix that problem. But running rough sounds like an injector to me. Before I pull it all down I would do a compression test just to be sure. My compression test was 750 to 900 psi for a 240,000 motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tom1801

Reaction score
So I put new glow plug and relay in, then did the injectors and return lines, still was hard to start so yesterday I put a new lift pump in and it was a little bit better but stalls right away and when I crank it again and hit the throttle a Lil bit it fires up and runs rough for about a min or less then smooths out..
The vacuum sensor on top of the wfs was leaking so I took it out and plugged it until I get a new one would that have somthing to do with it?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still means there is air getting in the lines somehow. Do you use one or both tanks?

I bypassed the selector valve on the tank and the fuel heater in the wfs. The o-ring was rotten. Now have no problem. If it's hard to start cold. Air in the lines. Hard to start hot injector pump. Don't make the same mistake I did I change the injector pump because I thought it was it. I had hard to start cold and hot if I let it set for 20 plus minutes. That was enough to drain back down

Tom1801

Reaction score
I only have one take the previous owner said he took the other one out because there was a hole in it or somthing and now that I think it the wire came out for the plug to the fuel heater so I unplugged it and the plug was filled with fuel

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can get the o-ring from ford I replaced mine all together because it had a short. The heater only turns one for a split sec apove 30 degrees but under 30 it will sat on so if you live where It get cold wise to get a new one. It cost me 200 bucks for it. I didn't have time to so I needed it the next day. I think ebay has them for 100 or so

Tom1801

Reaction score
Ya I live in pa so it does get pretty cold might as well just get a new one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online