88 cab and chassis rear fuel tank straps

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey guys as ya know I'm restoring an 88 cab and chassis dump truck. Ran into a problem. I can't locate upper and lower straps for the rear tank. It has a skid plate currently and is what holds the tank up, but it is rotten beyond all means and needs replacing.
Anybody know if the van straps or the bronco straps will work?
Justin is coming up Sunday to get it and I'm struggling to get it finished.

Last edited:

Old Blue

Reaction score
I bought a pair of lower straps on rockauto for my F250 for about $20, I think they still have them, but I'm not sure a cab and chassis uses the same ones. I couldn't find new upper straps at the time.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyplace you could pickup some wide steel banding? Watch for a train to go by, there is always some on the flat cars. :D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
The cab and chassis one are different and to top it off, I'm now scrambling for a vinyl floor for it. The one I had stored developed / 12" tear in it and is now junk. Grrr!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the tank plastic or metal; they came either way. ??

I bought two different brands of "universal fuel-tank bands", NOS at swap-meets.

These are galvanized steel strapping, somewhat heavy in gauge, about 1-1/4" wide, with spaced 1/4" holes throughout the length.

Myself, I would bend some of my own making from 14-GA or so steel, preferably galvanized.

Better yet = ditch the stock tank and replace with whatever squarish saddle-tank that can be fitted in.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what bearing it would have on the tank itself, but a cab-and-chassis is 34-1/2" outside measure at the frame, whereas a SRW or "dualie" measures more like 42" or thereabouts.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
It's a plastic tank. And the owner is very particular with what he wants done. It took some coaxing to get him to have me put the carpet back in. :(

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have a set on a truck I'm scrapping I'll have to look and see if the tanks still therein I actually just scrapped a few trucks that had them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online