86 fummins project

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well I bought a 12valve acouple days ago truck an all for 2500 runs an drives but the od is out in the tranny. I plan on drivin it about a year to save money on fuel to be able to actually buy all the parts I need. I plan on puttin a zf5 from a 460 in it my truck already has a t19 what do I need to be able to swap it in like clutch pedal and stuff. I was gonna go with a destroked adapter and I'm really Shootin for the 5-600 hp range.what are yalls suggestions on clutches and everything I will need to do this swap. I have been researching but there's so much goin on right now I get over welmed and forget everything and would just like to have it right here when it comes time to spend the money I can come back to this thread and just go down the list. I'll post pics later of the truck and the one it's going it right now it won't let me.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Forget the ford trans.
Get a nv5600. They actually make upgrade parts for those. Lol
Between the zf5, zf6, and nv5600, I like the way the nv5600 shifts. Can also safely float the gears and not worry about it. (While I know you can do it with a zf, they don't like it)
That'll save you a ton of money from not having to get a adapter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Forget the ford trans.
Get a nv5600. They actually make upgrade parts for those. Lol
Between the zf5, zf6, and nv5600, I like the way the nv5600 shifts. Can also safely float the gears and not worry about it. (While I know you can do it with a zf, they don't like it)
That'll save you a ton of money from not having to get a adapter.

Won't I have to get new driveshafts and a transfer case an all that good stuff. It's hard to come by them transmissions around here but I may know where one is

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Find one with a tcase.
Just build your own shafts. If the balance is off a bit, you won't feel it over the vibration of the engine. Lol

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent about $2K on my swap parts. That included the plate from Destroked and mounts from DCS. I already had everything else(2 complete trucks).

Check the NV5600 with the Ford crossmember. I went with the ZF5 and everything just bolted up. If it doesn't work, you will have to build one, or mod one. Also, if the shifter is not in the same place, you will have to mod the floor. With the ZF5, you just drill a couple of holes in the frame about 2" back from the stock holes and it just works the same way it always did. I switched sides with the braces and you can reuse all the factory holes save 1 on each side. This way you don't have to levitate the cab to drill new ones on the top rail. Also, the plate runs $800. Not sure what the tranny will cost you. If you don't already have the ZF5, that may be a deciding factor.

Putting the engine in is the easy part. It will take a lot more time getting everything else installed and clearanced. Make sure you id and size your power steering fittings and order them. I converted everything to -6AN fittings. So all that was left was buying the correct length hoses to connect the Cummins to the Ford. SummitRacing.com will have everything you need.

Figure out what exhaust mani you want to run. Look at lots of pictures. I'm running the 90* manifold in the up position. I think it's ideal for clearance and exhaust. But I don't think you can do this with the the HX35(?) turbo on the gen2. The waste gate stuff sticks up too far. But you would need to check. I'm still running the H1C and it's perfect.

For the most part it's all a bit of a gamble. Everyone has their own opinion of what "works fine" and "looks fine" means, so you have to take a lot of the experience with a grain of salt and just wing it. It's all possible with effort and work. I chose to buy as many of the swap parts as possible simply to save time. I'm mostly working by myself, so taking the engine in and out 20 times doing fit and fab while 900lbs swings around my hands did not sound appealing. It was $400 and all I had to do was bolt them up and move forward. But if you want, you can fab everything and do the entire swap for about $400.

Good luck! I had a blast doing mine. You won't regret it.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly considered putting a 12-valve in an '85 F350 I used to have. I did a bunch of research; from what I remember, South Bend clutches are pretty popular.

Also, you can use your Ford master cylinder to the Dodge slave cylinder. Just remove the pin from the Ford slave and the hose will plug right in to the Dodge slave. I haven't done it personally, but I believe Midnight Rider did it that way and it worked great.

I would second the pre-fabbed engine mounts. When I get around to throwing the 12-valve I have in my F250, I will go that route rather than spending the time to figure it all out. That is, unless it's not in the budget. Then by all means, build them yourself.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I spent about $2K on my swap parts. That included the plate from Destroked and mounts from DCS. I already had everything else(2 complete trucks).

Check the NV5600 with the Ford crossmember. I went with the ZF5 and everything just bolted up. If it doesn't work, you will have to build one, or mod one. Also, if the shifter is not in the same place, you will have to mod the floor. With the ZF5, you just drill a couple of holes in the frame about 2" back from the stock holes and it just works the same way it always did. I switched sides with the braces and you can reuse all the factory holes save 1 on each side. This way you don't have to levitate the cab to drill new ones on the top rail. Also, the plate runs $800. Not sure what the tranny will cost you. If you don't already have the ZF5, that may be a deciding factor.

Putting the engine in is the easy part. It will take a lot more time getting everything else installed and clearanced. Make sure you id and size your power steering fittings and order them. I converted everything to -6AN fittings. So all that was left was buying the correct length hoses to connect the Cummins to the Ford. SummitRacing.com will have everything you need.

Figure out what exhaust mani you want to run. Look at lots of pictures. I'm running the 90* manifold in the up position. I think it's ideal for clearance and exhaust. But I don't think you can do this with the the HX35(?) turbo on the gen2. The waste gate stuff sticks up too far. But you would need to check. I'm still running the H1C and it's perfect.

For the most part it's all a bit of a gamble. Everyone has their own opinion of what "works fine" and "looks fine" means, so you have to take a lot of the experience with a grain of salt and just wing it. It's all possible with effort and work. I chose to buy as many of the swap parts as possible simply to save time. I'm mostly working by myself, so taking the engine in and out 20 times doing fit and fab while 900lbs swings around my hands did not sound appealing. It was $400 and all I had to do was bolt them up and move forward. But if you want, you can fab everything and do the entire swap for about $400.

Good luck! I had a blast doing mine. You won't regret it.

What clutch are you running. I'm Shootin for 5-600 hp later on and really don't wanna buy a clutch then it not be enough and ya I already have the zf5 I just have to get the shifter but I've got it an the tcase and then I would still have my speedometer also. But will I need the clutch pedal and stuff or will my t19 one work for it

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But will I need the clutch pedal and stuff or will my t19 one work for it

Does your T19 have a hydraulic clutch? If it is, I'm pretty sure the clutch pedal and master cylinder will work.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What clutch are you running. I'm Shootin for 5-600 hp later on and really don't wanna buy a clutch then it not be enough and ya I already have the zf5 I just have to get the shifter but I've got it an the tcase and then I would still have my speedometer also. But will I need the clutch pedal and stuff or will my t19 one work for it

Unfortunately, I will have to tell you what everyone else says. Call Southbend or Valair directly and tell them your plans and application. I went with Valair as they are 45min from my house. I got a larger clutch(13") and a new flywheel drilled for it and bored for the larger Ford pilot. Valair will tell you to expect that the high torque clutches wint feel as nice as a lower torque. Mine is good to 800, waaay more than I will ever make. Easier than stock. Wife can drive it all day long with no problems.

The T19 will probably work. Just check the stroke length on the slave.

I would voice one concern though. At 600hp you will be putting down around 1300-1500lb of torque. That's a loooooooot of torque to put through a tranny designed for 500-600lb. You didn't say what the application is, but if it's racing, I think you will be breaking a lot parts.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I will have to tell you what everyone else says. Call Southbend or Valair directly and tell them your plans and application. I went with Valair as they are 45min from my house. I got a larger clutch(13") and a new flywheel drilled for it and bored for the larger Ford pilot. Valair will tell you to expect that the high torque clutches wint feel as nice as a lower torque. Mine is good to 800, waaay more than I will ever make. Easier than stock. Wife can drive it all day long with no problems.

The T19 will probably work. Just check the stroke length on the slave.

I would voice one concern though. At 600hp you will be putting down around 1300-1500lb of torque. That's a loooooooot of torque to put through a tranny designed for 500-600lb. You didn't say what the application is, but if it's racing, I think you will be breaking a lot parts.

No racing here[emoji23]well maybe everyonce Ina while but mainly just pullin tractors and stuff like that and kinda just for the hell of it I mean 600 hp won't happen right away but I want to have the clutch that's rated for it when I get to make that much power with it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online