86 F250 6.9 IDI Smoking!!

chk1204

Reaction score
I did a compression check, drivers side front to back (320,340,340,300 psi) Passenger side back to front (400,360,400,350psi) The dipstick is black with oil, when I removed the old CDR it was filled with grayish really thick oil. It doesn't seem to be consuming oil or coolant.

chk1204

Reaction score
I aligned the marks on the pump/ housing. My plan was to take it to CDI to have Mel fine tune it.

chk1204

Reaction score
UPDATE: Finally pulled the motor and tore it down....was hoping to just replace head gaskets and throw some studs in. Found a crack in the #4 cylinder wall....the head gasket actually looked pretty good. So now i am in a debacle where I have quite a few new parts for a 6.9 idi, but cant find a 6.9 engine. There are a lot of 7.3's out there. Anyone ever get a reman long block???

chk1204

Reaction score
Problem is i cant find a reasonably priced machine shop local to me....I spoke with the 3 nearby (Philadelphia area) 2 didnt want to touch it and 1 said it would most likely be over $1000 just to bore .010" over. I called CDI and Mel has a block thats in good shape he is willing to part with. Hopefully Thursday afternoon I will be picking it up and starting to put it together this weekend. Anyone recommend a good machine shop that would sleeve my current 6.9? Wouldn't be opposed to slowly building up a turbo engine to swap out later.

chk1204

Reaction score
Cleaned and rebuilt the block from Mel and got the truck back up and running. Found a turbo 7.3 idi with full turbo kit (turbo needed rebuilt) for cheap so i picked that up and sent the turbo out to GPOP shop for rebuild/upgrade. Truck is back together, inspected and on the road. Currently looking for a zf5 to swap in and put the turbo kit on. When i rebuilt the 6.9 i put head studs in so should be good with the turbo - not looking to blow smoke just make some more power.

BennettArts

Reaction score
For that bubbling injector, I have had that happen. You may check to see if you have the copper washer missing. I see one of them is in the picture.