'86 E-350 front brake pad replacement

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Help me out here guys. A year and a half ago I had the front calipers off and freed up the stuck pistons. Now for the life of me I can't remember how I got them off of the spindle. It is hell to get old, the memory is the second thing to go.

I think I need to remove the rubber centered wedge deals on both ends of the caliper but I am unsure how to get them out without buggering them up. I have those nice Raybestos Super Stop Extreme Duty pads to install and I am stumped. If I have to I guess I can go to the dealer and ask if I can look at the repair manual but I am hoping one of you nice fellers can straighten me out. Thanks.

Jim

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a pair of pliers to squeeze them together until the retaining tabs are flush while prying them out at the same time with a screwdriver. do this until the retaining tabs are clear and then finish driving them out with a drift or punch

Kinda a PITA to get the retaining tabs cleared but once you get it started it gets easier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just use a screwdriver and hammer to pound them out. Usually they need replacing anyways. Be sure to clean the slides and lube with antisieze. Geez... I just forgot what I was talking about!!!:D :angel:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're like the Ranger slide pins (which I think they are), and you install and remove from either side. Do they look symmetrical?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can use a pair of needle pliers and Yes they can be installed either way, now after 1 1/2 year You'll need a big flat screw driver to loose the bracket holding the pads.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Mission accomplished!!

New pads in.

Needle nose and a piece of 3/8" key stock for a punch and it was a piece of cake.

The pads came with a tube of silicone grease.

Now I have to wait for the correct rear shoes. The ones they got were the standard Raybestos shoes. They have ordered Wagner Brute Stops. Two week backorder. That's OK, its 18 degrees here and we aren't going anyplace soon.

Thanks guys!!

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to hear its all going smooth for you. I run the Brute Stops both front and rear. They are the best I have used yet and I've used plenty of differant brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online