72 Highboy swapped IDI on Deboss Garage

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good video.
Glad to hear that other IDIs are as loud as mine in the cab.
Not that it makes it any more bearable.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed with the video but I know Rich is a Cummins fanboy and the other guy obviously wants more power so naturally they're like "why would you do this? Would you do it again?...no". It's a reliable workhouse of a motor but it's no Clydesdale. The fact that you can pick up an entire IDI truck for the price of a cummins motor is the main reason I like them. In a world filled with overpriced diesel trucks that cost an arm and a leg to fix it's nice to hear there are still fun old clackity cheap ones out there

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed with the video but I know Rich is a Cummins fanboy and the other guy obviously wants more power so naturally they're like "why would you do this? Would you do it again?...no". It's a reliable workhouse of a motor but it's no Clydesdale. The fact that you can pick up an entire IDI truck for the price of a cummins motor is the main reason I like them. In a world filled with overpriced diesel trucks that cost an arm and a leg to fix it's nice to hear there are still fun old clackity cheap ones out there
High boys are becoming rare, but IDIs are plentiful.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a reliable workhouse of a motor but it's no Clydesdale. The fact that you can pick up an entire IDI truck for the price of a cummins motor is the main reason I like them. In a world filled with overpriced diesel trucks that cost an arm and a leg to fix it's nice to hear there are still fun old clackity cheap ones out there
This would have made a good addition to my "Who's smarter?" thread.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched the whole video to the end.
The whole time they were laughing and joking,
and talking down about the IDI Engine.
I know Deboss does not care for the IDI engine
and likes the Gold Plated Cummins.

I thought it was a cool install the guy did on that 72.
That is the exact color my 72 F-250 was I bought new from the Dealer.
I didn`t know I had a Hi Boy back then, but never heard of the term. Now they are called Hi Boys, strange.
I never heard the term Generations, Dent Sides or Bump Side`s back then either till I joined these Forums. OH, and OBS. And those are Old Body Styles? My 86 is older, I guess it is an OPS ?. HMMMM, a new term, ? :sly

Charlie

Black dawg

Reaction score
I watched the whole video to the end.
The whole time they were laughing and joking,
and talking down about the IDI Engine.
I know Deboss does not care for the IDI engine
and likes the Gold Plated Cummins.
I got the feeling that the guy who built it likes the idi also, but you gotta fit in with the cool kids?? But, I do know a few guys who made a living running idi trucks, and with very few issues, that will still talk them down. Most people complain of lack of power, but even in factory turbo form, they were pretty impressive in the day for being used as a truck (as designed), not this new strange diesel ricer scene

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am quite ok with the IDI being depicted in this light given it will keep prices on engines and parts low as popularity remains niche.

I posted it due to the rarity of well produced content for this engine, as well as the fact that Deboss got me interested in diesels in the first place when I was first getting into mechanics. Between them and early Skid Factory episodes I learned quite a bit and have become a decent mechanic via Youtube University.

The RegularCars review of the IDI is a gem as well

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know an IDI could start that poorly, mine starts better than that at 17 degrees.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But it's real. That's where the "rolling coal" scene came from. It's also why people will spend many 10's of thousands on buying a truck, then turn around and spend that much or more on power adders, wheels/tires, paint, etc. and then be afraid to use it as a truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online