70cc R&D ip or stock CDD ip

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the two pumps the R&D idi is much cheaper but gives 70cc's and 400 extra rpms....my truck is completely stock outside of a duralift 40222 so I'm a bit concerned about the extra power and rpms on this one... however the price is more in my budget.

The classic diesel design pump looks amazing especially with the ceramic sleeve (I think) and would bring the truck back to stock setting (I'm sure a previous owner turned up my IP as she smokes out the road when going up a steep incline empty and is quite peppy

I do not yet have a EGT gauge but plan on getting one soon, if I did go the R&D route I would keep it under 2800-3k rpms till I got a egt gauge. (Would that be good enough to prevent it from getting to hot? It's basically what I did with my old pump as flooring it would release a cloud of smoke

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely getting one, I'm going to get the 4 pod a piler gauge set for my bricknose from glow shift. I want a oil pressure gauge, water temp, transmission temp and the egt gauge.
I'd probably buy the set and have them professionally installed after getting truck running again which should be ok to drive a most 45mph if I do get the cheaper R&D pump right?
I know if I went with the stock classic diesel design pump I would be but that extra power on the R&D scares me

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Speed of the engine/truck does not determine EGT’s. An engine moving along unloaded at 70MPH on the interstate might be 5-600 degrees. But, a truck at max GVW at 20MPH with the foot on the floor and is “NASA Hot”. I’m with Dave, get the pyro and be sure. Also, an N/A Engine can have EGT issues faster than a turbo, since there is less air moving to move the exhaust gasses out.

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
Mine is a turbo, but on the highway 2.5k rpms plus is lower temps than pulling a hill at lower rpms. I tried one day to feel the limits, I got the egt to 1000 degrees up a small hill in 5th gear on the interstate. Yesterday I pulled our gooseneck trailer up 1500 ft of elevation with rpms at 2.5-2.8 and didn't get much over 900.

If you dog it but keep rpm low, you will burn it up faster than high rpms.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly it would just be driving around the city without a heavy foot unloaded until I buy the 4 gauges/a piler mount...I'm going to have a shop set them up since I'm terrible at wiring.

From the sounds of it, it looks like I should just buy the bone stock setting IP?

Here's the bone stock pump I'm looking at

This is the closest thing R&D idi has for stock naturally aspirated but it's at 70cc flat curve with 400more rpms