7.3IDIT sputter/loss of power from stop

Suddenly

Reaction score
I have had this issue just pop up recently where I get loss of power/sputtering from a stop.

since fixing my fuel leak the truck has started great, little shaky but if I press the pedal softly it will idle fine at slightly higher rpm.

the problem is getting going. From a stop, with light pedal I get a lot of sputtering, smoke from the exhaust and a real lack of power. This occurs on hot and cold engine, but is inconsistent. This morning the truck ran fantastic in the morning, no issues but after work the hesitation is back, I drive home it happens and 1 light and not the others.

I don’t have any issues at WOT, truck towed my trailer fine last week but unloaded and light throttle it’s having some trouble.

possibly related symptom is fuel consumption, I’ve gotten maybe 250km/80L of diesel since I got the truck. Had a pretty good fuel leak, haven’t done a full tank since fixed. Mileage is somewhat concerning but it’s not my daily so whatever.

replaced air filter last weekend, fuel filter 1500km ago and fresh oil.

truck has 145000km

I will try and get a video this evening if I have time.

thanks, Dan

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
Advance the timing. If the hesitation clears up then you just bought yourself a little time before replacing the injector pump. So far the symptoms you describe point to an ip on the way out.

Suddenly

Reaction score
Advance the timing. If the hesitation clears up then you just bought yourself a little time before replacing the injector pump. So far the symptoms you describe point to an ip on the way out.

ok I’ll look into timing. Is 145km around their lifetime then?

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
100000mi service life so a little over 160000km. Does seem a bit premature. Advance the timing to see if the symptoms get better. If they do then yeah your ip is on its way out.

Suddenly

Reaction score
Hate to revive an old thread but with the help of @bbjordan the problem has been solved. I drove down to Calgary this weekend and he timed the IP for me. Timing was 2 degrees retarded, now set to ~8.5 degrees. No more excessive smoke or hesitation on acceleration. It feels like a whole new truck.
Again sorry for reviving this if it shows up on the front page but I hate to leave a thread with no solution. Hopefully this helps someone with the same issue.